Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum

tag
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum

I think the MB Platinum is a charge card. The BMW Visa is a revolver though....

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 21 of 29
alakazam
New Contributor

The co-branded Mercedes-Benz Platinum is a charge card. The basic one is a credit card.

Message 22 of 29
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I recently got the Amex MB Plat charge. You probably got the answers to your question, but to confirm for you -

• Yes, it has all Plat benefits
  • Yes, it is $25 more / yr AF
  • I had the 50k points deposited in my MR account the day after I hit $1500 in spend
  • I did receive the Priority Pass card / booklet a couple weeks after receiving the card
  • It includes the $200 yearly airline fees credit
  • It includes all of the other Platinum benefits (FHR, Companion pass for BC/FC tickets thru PTS, etc etc)
  • Gets you 6x points at the dealership
  • $1k annual certificate towards lease / purchase (can be used by anyone in your household even if not AU)
  • $100 annual for MB accessories 

Hope that helps!

Message 23 of 29
alakazam
New Contributor

Thanks cardslayer. I always like to hear it from a user than the app. agent who may or may not be telling the truth. I am definetely aiming for that card.

Message 24 of 29
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Hopefully this is not a silly question, but can you PC and/or upgrade to this card if you are a current Amex charge card holder? I'm considering purchasing either a Benz or BMW in the future...

Thanks,

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 25 of 29
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Is product changing from Plat to the Mercedez-Benz Plat possible? I don't want a hard pull (especially if planning to buy car/home).

Message 26 of 29
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

I don't know if a product change is possible but when I did inquire about the MB AmEx, the rep. told me the 50K bonus MR points are not available for current platinum members (I believe this is after product change?). However, I do believe if you want the 50K points, you can cancel your current card and re-apply for the MB Plat. Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
I don't know if a product change is possible but when I did inquire about the MB AmEx, the rep. told me the 50K bonus MR points are not available for current platinum members (I believe this is after product change?). However, I do believe if you want the 50K points, you can cancel your current card and re-apply for the MB Plat. Smiley Happy

Right, Plat has to be cancelled, but unlike the "mainline" charge cards, there's no 90 day or 12 month restriction for the MB Platinum bonus.

For the added $25, the MB Platinum is better, if only for the $100 gift certificate for a Mercedes Benz accessory.  I don't know for certain, but I'm sure a PC is possible; however, you won't get the 50K bonus.

Message 28 of 29
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I'm holding out for another 100k sign-up and pulling the trigger for the plat, next year.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.