Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre-paid card...will it help?

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

AMEX Pre-paid card...will it help?

After I applied for Zync and was denied (twice) I kept getting emails from AMEX telling me to try their pre-paid card. So I bit. Been using it for a couple months now.

My question is, when I go to apply for a real AMEX in the future, will it benefit me at all having this card? I don't know if it would show up in their system when I apply or what. I figured if nothing else I could call and do a recon (if I got denied again) and tell them I've been giving them my business via the prepaid card for X amount of months, hoping it'd sway them a little. Because I know even though I pay no fees, they're making money off all of my purchases.

Any thoughts? I'm just curious...it'll be a while before I apply, but maybe someone else has had experience with this. The card is usefull for me regardless, because it's an easy way for me to budget myself (I only load x amount of dollars every 2 weeks for "luxury" items, so I don't overspend). Plus I just like having an AMEX...even if it's prepiad. Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Pre-paid card...will it help?

@FloridaState12 wrote:

After I applied for Zync and was denied (twice) I kept getting emails from AMEX telling me to try their pre-paid card. So I bit. Been using it for a couple months now.

My question is, when I go to apply for a real AMEX in the future, will it benefit me at all having this card? I don't know if it would show up in their system when I apply or what. I figured if nothing else I could call and do a recon (if I got denied again) and tell them I've been giving them my business via the prepaid card for X amount of months, hoping it'd sway them a little. Because I know even though I pay no fees, they're making money off all of my purchases.

Any thoughts? I'm just curious...it'll be a while before I apply, but maybe someone else has had experience with this. The card is usefull for me regardless, because it's an easy way for me to budget myself (I only load x amount of dollars every 2 weeks for "luxury" items, so I don't overspend). Plus I just like having an AMEX...even if it's prepiad. Smiley Very Happy

My best guess would be that the pre-paid card will not help you.  There is nothing that show up from a pre-paid card in your credit report and that is what will probably matter.

Your best bet is to start with a secured card to build your credit rating.  They want to see a certain amount of time where you show that you pay CC acounts on time to be comfortable with offering you an unsecured card.  And AmEx tends to be pickier than others about history.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 2 of 21
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@bobebob wrote:
My best guess would be that the pre-paid card will not help you.  There is nothing that show up from a pre-paid card in your credit report and that is what will probably matter.

Your best bet is to start with a secured card to build your credit rating.  They want to see a certain amount of time where you show that you pay CC acounts on time to be comfortable with offering you an unsecured card.  And AmEx tends to be pickier than others about history.

Appreciate the response, but I think you misunderstood me. I know prepaid cards don't report on my credit, I was wondering if it would at all factor into AMEX's decision, since it's their prepaid card. Because I know it's a big deal with AMEX if you have a history with them...but I don't think a prepaid account would count.

I already have 3 unsecured CC's, so I don't need a secured card. I'd go for an AMEX secured if they offered it. Really wanting to get in with AMEX as soon as I can.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 21
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

NO - it will not help you get a real AMEX card at all. Sorry

Message 4 of 21
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What is the reason they gave you for decline? You might want to look into clearing the issues on your CR and then go for Zync again. It is the most easy to get card.

Message 5 of 21
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I believe it was because my FICO was too low and I have a collections on my report. The collections is SUPPOSED to be coming off soon, but we'll see. The other reason my scores were so low was because 1) I'm new to credit, so my 3 CC's are all less than a year old, and 2) I have a crapload of INQ on my reports. 

If this collection gets off and my scores are upper 600's, I may reapply. It's a new collection so I imagine it's greatly affecting my score....hopefully getting it taken off will give me a sizeable boost.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 21
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

AMEX generally requires at least 12-18 months of history (except college students sometimes). That has been the consensus of people's experience on this board. Good luck.
Message 7 of 21
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Not to mention that no creditor is going to approve someone who has a recent collection. Having a lot of inquiries is another reason that you can be declined. If I were you, I would:

1. Do my best to get the collection removed - if you cannot, then you are going to have trouble getting an AMEX at all.

2. Wait until all those credit inquries age off your report. When the computer reviews your app and sees a lot of INQs, you will usually be declined automatically.

3. Establish a solid 2 years of positive credit history

Then if you still want an AMEX, apply.

I can't see any reason why a pre-paid card would be considered at all with AMEX. It proves nothing to them about being able to handle credit, which is the whole point of past experience.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea weird... Amex rep on Twitter told me to open a checking and savings account with them. I looked endlessly and couldnt find out what she was talking about by checking and found out it's one of those prepaid cards.. Idk why she'd tell me opening one would help if it really doesnt?

Message 9 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm...I wonder if the pre-paid cards help with backdating [when you apply for future Amex CCs]?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.