Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Prepaid Q - Building history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Prepaid Q - Building history

I've googled it but haven't really found an answer. I recently got put as an AU to my moms AMEX which I helped her get back dated to '89. I tried calling and they said they wouldn't back date my card to match hers unfortunately. I recently remembered that back in the fall of 2011 my school rolled out these new ID cards where one stripe on the back was used for our school account and on the opposite side there was an AMEX stripe which was connected to a prepaid account for us to use. 

I was wondering if by using the prepaid card (I had to sign up and give them my SSN) if I would be able to back date the AU card to '11. I just signed into my prepaid account and there isn't the usual "members since" date so I'm assuming they don't treat prepaid the same as their other customers but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Prepaid Q - Building history

since it was part of your school program, can't really answer that for you, sorry. But, when in doubt, call up amex and ask them. If they took your social, you technically were an amex member, though, whether they honor programs that are part of universities or not is nothing I can tell you about. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think its particularly a university program as its not university specific. As far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the prepaid card but stuck on the back of an ID.

AMEX Student ID Cards

Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Well, I know my university doesn't have this, so the university probably pays for it, and I know most universities have a policy where, no matter what, every student ID is actually property of the university and not the student. 

Anyways, if it is funded by the university, then it is technically a university program, your best bet would just be to call amex and explain the situation. 

and oh, UNF, lol, 

(UF student here) 

Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wow; amex is genius with marketing. The studies show that consumers are most loyal to their first credit card brand. This is a great way to put their logo into the hands of a brand new generation without having to risk defaults and non compliance with the new CARD act. And they don't even have to give away pizza or free t shirts to do it
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Well, I know my university doesn't have this, so the university probably pays for it, and I know most universities have a policy where, no matter what, every student ID is actually property of the university and not the student. 

Anyways, if it is funded by the university, then it is technically a university program, your best bet would just be to call amex and explain the situation. 

and oh, UNF, lol, 

(UF student here) 

Darn, had I known we were the only ones I probably wouldn't have asked. Smiley Tongue But thanks for the info. I'll just have to call in tomorrow and plead my case.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called in and was denied because prepaid and credit cards are two different things, which is understandable. I then sent an email via my account online and received a response stating that although it isn't normally done, that they would be more than happy to put the request through for me. Smiley Very Happy I must say, amex has me pretty happy with backdating this year. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.