Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Prepaid... does it help?

tag
TwistedAngel
New Contributor

AMEX Prepaid... does it help?

Would getting one of those AMEX prepaid cards and treating it like a $500 secured card (reloading back up to $500 after charges) help my chances of getting a BCE in a year, if I decide I still want one when I am not feeling irritated at them for denying me?

............11/10.......................03/13..........................11/14..........................03/15..........................03/15............
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
power123
New Visitor

Re: AMEX Prepaid... does it help?

I did some studies on  the matter and believe it or not Amex clearly states that using the card will not report on your credit report but will report on amex int system

So you will build history with them and will possibly if credit situation permit like /Fico score/UTL/Any lates.etc.will be invited to apply for the charge card after 6 months

Its not guaranteed but none of the apps are not 100% guarantedd approval anyways

Someone correct me if iam wrong

Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Correct they did have a program that would graduate you to an amex card

because they tracked your spending but it was a flop and discontinued the first of the year

@power123 wrote:

I did some studies on  the matter and believe it or not Amex clearly states that using the card will not report on your credit report but will report on amex int system

So you will build history with them and will possibly if credit situation permit like /Fico score/UTL/Any lates.etc.will be invited to apply for the charge card after 6 months

Its not guaranteed but none of the apps are not 100% guarantedd approval anyways

Someone correct me if iam wrong

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
power123
New Visitor

Ouch in that case is waste of money

I believe however that amex will take in to consideration the Prepaid history with them if you decied say 1 yr later to apply for their charge card

You can correct me again.lolSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

I remembered the name of the AMEX program

"Make Your Move” 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 7
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

OP, if you're not opted out, sign up for their offers by email, and do a charger app, if you can take the inquiry hit. If you're denied, they'll watch for you in their system. Don't app again until you start getting the pre approvals in the mailbox.
Message 6 of 7
Alcibiades
Contributor

I don't think I have heard of a single case of an Amex prepaid charge being automatically "graduated" to a credit product of any kind. I am sure some charge card holders may have applied for Amex cards and received them, but that may have been because their credit scores improved (or they would have been approved anyway when they got their prepaid). The only real way to test it is to get a prepaid card, keep your exact credit profile (same utlilzation, outstanding debt, FICO scores, etc) while spending a lot of money through the Amex prepaid to see if it really could be upgraded.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.