Reply
New Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-26-2013
0

AMEX Prime Membership Question

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.

BOA Cash Rewards: $4000 Discover IT: $1600 Chase Freedom: $3200 AMEX BCE: $2000 Barclay Arrival: $4000
Established Contributor
Posts: 794
Registered: ‎07-01-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question

[ Edited ]

tlgp wrote:

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.


To be honest, I don't have the question, However I do have a suggestion.

 

Why not sign up for a community college (Unless you're already in school). You get your own e-mail through the school, You don't have to go to school or anything, But you'll get amazon's perks for being a student by using the e-mail to verify that you're a student. $39 a year, Instead of having to spend $1,000 just to get it for free.. It's basically the same thing, Except you don't get seperate accounts to share with your household for 2-day shipping (Who needs that anyways, When you already have it?)

 

It's what I do.

 

ManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.com****$20,000**********$5,000***********$4,100***********$3,500**********$2,500***********$1,000****
EQ - 688 (10/9/13) | TU - 705 (02/18/14) | EX - 701 (10/9/13) | CS Fako - 717 (10/4/13) | CK Fako - 697 (11/05/13)
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 374
Registered: ‎02-10-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question

No.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000



Established Contributor
Posts: 653
Registered: ‎01-31-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question


RushXTC wrote:

tlgp wrote:

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.


To be honest, I don't have the question, However I do have a suggestion.

 

Why not sign up for a community college (Unless you're already in school). You get your own e-mail through the school, You don't have to go to school or anything, But you'll get amazon's perks for being a student by using the e-mail to verify that you're a student. $39 a year, Instead of having to spend $1,000 just to get it for free.. It's basically the same thing, Except you don't get seperate accounts to share with your household for 2-day shipping (Who needs that anyways, When you already have it?)

 

It's what I do.

 


Amazon Student is only good for four years.  Besides, if OP already got the BCE and gets free Prime for a year, why not take advantage of it?

   
FICO Scores 800+
Established Contributor
Posts: 794
Registered: ‎07-01-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question


Leadberry wrote:

RushXTC wrote:

tlgp wrote:

I recently got a AMEX BCE with the Amazon Prime promotion.  As I understand it, I need to spend $1,000 and then buy a prime membership.  I will then get a $79 statement credit as reimbursment for the cost of the prime membership.  My qustion is, does that $79 charge for the prime membership count towards the $1,000 minimum spend?  In that case, I would need just $921 of other purchases.  I have talked to a couple of customer service reps, but none of them seem to understand the question.


To be honest, I don't have the question, However I do have a suggestion.

 

Why not sign up for a community college (Unless you're already in school). You get your own e-mail through the school, You don't have to go to school or anything, But you'll get amazon's perks for being a student by using the e-mail to verify that you're a student. $39 a year, Instead of having to spend $1,000 just to get it for free.. It's basically the same thing, Except you don't get seperate accounts to share with your household for 2-day shipping (Who needs that anyways, When you already have it?)

 

It's what I do.

 


Amazon Student is only good for four years.  Besides, if OP already got the BCE and gets free Prime for a year, why not take advantage of it?


Well then he could take advantage of the free prime for a year and switch to student before it renews at full price.

ManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.com****$20,000**********$5,000***********$4,100***********$3,500**********$2,500***********$1,000****
EQ - 688 (10/9/13) | TU - 705 (02/18/14) | EX - 701 (10/9/13) | CS Fako - 717 (10/4/13) | CK Fako - 697 (11/05/13)
New Contributor
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎01-01-2014
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 

US Bank Cash+ $5300 || Discover IT $5950 || Barclays Arrival $4K || AMEX BCE $30K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K || CSP $12K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K
Starting Score: All CRAs : NA
Current Score: TU 751(Barclays) , EQ FICO 743 , EX FICO 741
Goal Score: All CRAs : 760+





Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,171
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question


askme3012 wrote:

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 


You have to register before you reach 1k spend? or you have to register before you spend any money at all on the card? I would assume its the former as the later seems really stupid. 


Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 730 6/27/14, Last App 1/3/15
Goal Score: 800 In garden until 4/2015
New Contributor
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎01-01-2014
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question


red259 wrote:

askme3012 wrote:

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 


You have to register before you reach 1k spend? or you have to register before you spend any money at all on the card? I would assume its the former as the later seems really stupid. 


Well if its stupid then it wont be true.. :smileytongue: and yeah its the former.

US Bank Cash+ $5300 || Discover IT $5950 || Barclays Arrival $4K || AMEX BCE $30K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K || CSP $12K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K
Starting Score: All CRAs : NA
Current Score: TU 751(Barclays) , EQ FICO 743 , EX FICO 741
Goal Score: All CRAs : 760+





Valued Contributor
Posts: 4,742
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question

[ Edited ]
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,067
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: AMEX Prime Membership Question


red259 wrote:

askme3012 wrote:

for this card, you have to register for Amazon prime BEFORE you spend $1000 with the AMEX card. Confirmed this with CSR. After you spend your $1000, u will get statement credit of $79. 


You have to register before you reach 1k spend? or you have to register before you spend any money at all on the card? I would assume its the former as the later seems really stupid. 


I don't think it matters which order you complete the steps.  You have to register in the first 3 months and you have to complete the spend in the first 3 months.  Also, I would just spend $1000 exclusive of the $79 prime membership fee to be sure, but if I had to guess, it probably does count toward the total.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.