Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Question

tag
westcoastpirate
Contributor

AMEX Question

So I had an AMEX Blue card while in college, small limit, like $500. It was CO'd, and I settled for less than the full balance. It has fallen off my CR for a while, but I am sure I am on the AMEX blacklist. I am now in a much better financial situation than back then. I have a secured CC for $1K through my CU and a $700 Target Card and have been 'gardening' for a while and my CR is looking pretty good. Have a couple 60 day lates from 2007 that look to fall off in early 2013 but outside that, everything is stellar or is off the current CRs. My current CS is between 720s-740. I'm wondering if I should try calling AMEX to see if I can pay whatever the balance is from the settled card to get back in good standing with them for a new card? Has anyone done this and come off the blacklist? What number should I use to contact AMEX to make this request? The balance was so small when I settled I would have no problems paying it 10x over right now, but when I was in college $500 was a lot of money! I really want to get back in with them in the hopes they can backdate the card to the early 2000s.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Question

You have nothing to lose by calling the executive office, you can get the number through the "backdoor numbers" thread. Worst thing that can happen is they say no. 

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 2 of 32
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@westcoastpirate wrote:
So I had an AMEX Blue card while in college, small limit, like $500. It was CO'd, and I settled for less than the full balance. It has fallen off my CR for a while, but I am sure I am on the AMEX blacklist. I am now in a much better financial situation than back then. I have a secured CC for $1K through my CU and a $700 Target Card and have been 'gardening' for a while and my CR is looking pretty good. Have a couple 60 day lates from 2007 that look to fall off in early 2013 but outside that, everything is stellar or is off the current CRs. My current CS is between 720s-740. I'm wondering if I should try calling AMEX to see if I can pay whatever the balance is from the settled card to get back in good standing with them for a new card? Has anyone done this and come off the blacklist? What number should I use to contact AMEX to make this request? The balance was so small when I settled I would have no problems paying it 10x over right now, but when I was in college $500 was a lot of money! I really want to get back in with them in the hopes they can backdate the card to the early 2000s.

Hello and welcome to the forums! amex blacklist bankruptcy i don't believe they blacklist collections or charge offs.You should call amex. (YMMV) your mileage may vary.

Message 3 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@patsfan1453 wrote:

You have nothing to lose by calling the executive office, you can get the number through the "backdoor numbers" thread. Worst thing that can happen is they say no. 

Totally agree!

Good luck to you!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

Thanks everyone! I've been lurking these forums for a while now and have read some great advice to help rebuild my credit. I'll report back after I contact AMEX!
Message 5 of 32
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They will not blacklist you for CO - I should know!  They've REALLY taken care of me post CO.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 32
distantarray
Established Contributor

Try disputing to the CRA's about your lates as NEVER LATE, and also the OC's. I would say half or more of the time they don't have documentation to prove you were ever late. Remember send certified mail (no return receipt) to CRA and just regular postage to the OC's stating you were never late. Since they almost never have documentation that you were ever late, plus it's been so long since the lates the will almost always deleted from my experience. ymmv.

If they can prove it keep firing off goodwill letters to the OC til they get sick of you =) a guy wrote a python script to email the executive office everyday and got a response eventually lol! oh yea with the CRA write it with yellow legal notepad with purple in in cursive (not kidding) cause they will not read your disputes otherwise and feeds it into a machine to auto process your disputes, this forces a manual review.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

I didn't have a chance to call AMEX today, however, I just app'd for the Barclays VISA Apple card for the hell of it and got instantly approved with a CL of $3,700! Wow! This is my first unsecured CC in a long long time! Looks like it's harvest time in my garden! I'm feeling a little more confident about calling AMEX now!
Message 8 of 32
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Go for the Ames. If all is paid.  U may be in a real good positionSmiley Happy

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

So I just called the AMEX Executive office and spoke to a very nice individual.  I didn't have any of the account details so he was able to pull that through my SS number.  I asked him some questions and after putting me on hold a couple times corresponding with different departments, he confirmed that yes, if I paid off the CO balance that would definitely improve my chances of receiving a future AMEX card, but that they can't guarantee approval based off paying the balance.

He gave me an address where I can send a check.  I am planning on including a letter explaining what I am paying and I am also going to ask for a letter or some sort of confirmation that my account has been PIF once the check clears.  Any suggestions on what content I should include in the letter?

Also, how long after I receive confirmation that my balance is all good before trying for a new AMEX card?

Thanks again for all the help, guidance, and reassurance!

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.