Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Question

tag
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Question

My I ask how long ago the CO was ?

I have a sistuation where I had a green card back in 1992, then upgraded to gold in 1994, all **** hit the fan and had ruined my credit, badly.  Had AMEX charged off for about 7k I think, it might have been less.

Never any contact, ever....  Not even with collection companies.

Of course life is way different today.  Lots of good cards and limits.

I am almost ready to apply once all my existing new accounts hit 1 year, which will be in March 2013.

I am wondering if they will "find" me in the system from 1994 ?

And, what gain, if any will it do for me, I were to pay pack the CO.  I have the money now to pay it now a days.

Is AMEX really worth it.  Due to erasing my credit file(letting time clean it up), my AAoA is so so so low, can AMEX really help if I were to get an account backed dated over 20 years ?

Thank you for any input...

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 11 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

My CO was from 2005.
Message 12 of 32
Wahoo
Valued Member

I am helping a family member with a similar situation.  I called Amex on his behalf (called 800-700-7619),  According to the backdoor numbers thread located on this forum this is the reserves department that handles closed accounts.  Spoke with a very nice lady.  Gave her the SSN and she pulled it right up.  Account was settled for less than owed in the early 1990's.  Gave me the exact amount owed ($2k) and told me that after a payment is made I will be in a good position to apply for a new card.

She stated that Amex updates accounts like this one on the 8th of every month.  She said my account will reflect the payment 2 days after the 8th.  My family member is planning to pay the amount owed at the end of the year.  Will keep everyone updated.  Hope this helps.

EX08: 832 (myFICO 10/07/14)
TU08: 806 (Walmart/MC 05/06/15)
TU08: 834 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ08: 830 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ04: 809 (Digital Credit Union 05/29/15)
Message 13 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

You may find my thread helpful... I had a AMEX CO in 2007 and was able to get back in 

AMEX Optima/Oasis

Message 14 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

UPDATE:  I sent AMEX the check for the balance of the CO from 2005, and the check has cleared my bank account.  I'm still waiting for the confirmation letter.  If I don't get one by early December I will call the backdoor number again and check the status.

I also requested my CR from Teletrack last week which I should receive in the mail shortly.  I understand that AMEX sometimes uses this report to calculate their in-house score.  I'm going to compare the Teletrack report against the reports I pulled from the 3 CRAs this month and call Teletrack back to correct any mistakes.  I read Teletrack doesn't update their reports as frequently as the big 3 CRAs, so baddies may be on there which should be removed.

Once I have some sort of confirmation the CO is in good standing and the Teletrack report looks good/similar to my other CRs, I am going to move forward with apping for an AMEX card.  I read in the Optima/Oasis thread that I should wait 3 months, but I think if everything looks good I can app before the end of the year.

On a side note, one of the reports has an INQ from AMEX in 2010 for the Costco card.  I would think if I was blacklisted the app wouldn't have been a HP?  Or, because this was a co-branded product with Costco it goes through a different review process?

Message 15 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

MORE UPDATES:  The Teletrack CR was waiting for me in the mail when I got home from work, clean as a whistle.  The only thing on it was the AMEX HP for the Costco card I applied for in Dec 2010.  Of course I was denied the card at that time because I was still in the process of cleaning up my CR.  But I'm wondering if I had been blacklisted for the CO if they would have just SP me and not done the HP.  If someone knows let me know.

Message 16 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

Wow, today has been insane!  So I called the AMEX backdoor number to see the status of my account since I paid the balance of the CO.  They said my account had been updated to PIF.  I went to lunch, came back and decided to apply for the Green.

And...BAM!  Approved for the Green instantly!  So I decided to open another browser and try for the AMEX BCE.  Went all the way through and got the 7-10 pending verification message.  Bummer.

I went back to check the application status, and BAMARAMA!!!  BCE APPROVED!  HOLY S#!%!!!!!  I am on cloud 11 right now!  I need to call AMEX to get more info!  But I want to thank this forum for guiding me and all the advice, I couldn't have done it without everyone here!!!

Message 17 of 32
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Wow! Congrats on your success with AmEx!

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 32
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

WTH Smiley Surprised Congrats!

Amex BCE..... Best of the best.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 19 of 32
westcoastpirate
Contributor

I was surprised as you. AMEX is giving me a second chance, with an awesome card, I really can't believe it.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.