Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Question

tag
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Question

Do what I did, App for the regular blue and then immediately PC it to the BCE. I did it the same day I activated the card. I was approved for the blue with only 9 months of credit history and scores similar to yours. 

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 11 of 15
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@patsfan1453 wrote:

Do what I did, App for the regular blue and then immediately PC it to the BCE. I did it the same day I activated the card. I was approved for the blue with only 9 months of credit history and scores similar to yours. 

That's awesome. So you app for regular blue and after approval, call and PC to BCE? sweet.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 12 of 15
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

If you call, someone will tell you that you need to reapply. I did it through the secure message center. I got a message back in about an hour and the CSR changed the account immediately Smiley Happy. I got the new card 3-4 days later. 

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 13 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

I just started building credit 6 months ago and i just got an amex gold premier rewards.

I started to use this card as my main card, and this first month i'm going to spend around 600 and pay it off of course

My other 3 credit cards are low limit. All around $500

My question is if I will use this charge card for 1 year heavily, and always pay on time, will they give me a high credit limit in 1 year with one of their revolving cards ?

Or they look more on my other accounts limit ?

I'm planning in January 2014 to apply for an amex credit card, so it will be backdated to january 2012

I want to be ready for next year and try to get a high limit.

I want to know from personal experience what will impact my first limit they will give me. Mainly my other accounts limit or my history with amex ?

I think both will be considered, just depends which carries the most weight at the time.  Meaning, wait until January 2014.  I say this for several reasons:

1 - all of your cards will have aged one more year, and your AAoA will increase

2 - you may get CLI's with your current cards, which will look good to AMEX. You don't mention what those cards are, but if you rotate usage with your Gold AMEX, you'll likely see some auto CLI's on those other cards.  Just do as you do with the Gold card and PIF always. 

3 - that on time PIF history on your current AMEX card will look really good to AMEX and I think that will carry a lot of weight

4 - If you really, really must apply for an AMEX revolver before 2014, why not consider the Clear card?  I know it's not as attractive as far as benefits, but it is an easy to get revolver, will give you more history with AMEX and in 2014 you can still apply for one of the better benefit cards, and likely get approved. 

5 - also depends on what you mean by "high credit limit".  I think you'll get a higher CL if you apply for something like the Clear card, vs other AMEX products such as Delta or Hilton. If you were to get an AMEX revolver with, say, $2K or $3K limit, you could always request a CLI at a later date.  You could also try a PC at a later date; the idea is to get your foot in the door with AMEX and a revolver.   If you're expecting a $5-$10K limit right off the bat, I think that could be a bit of a stretch, given you credit history. 

Good Luck in  whatever choice you make!  Finding this forum will certainly be to your advantage!  

Message 14 of 15
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@pat0812 wrote:

I just started building credit 6 months ago and i just got an amex gold premier rewards.

I started to use this card as my main card, and this first month i'm going to spend around 600 and pay it off of course

My other 3 credit cards are low limit. All around $500

My question is if I will use this charge card for 1 year heavily, and always pay on time, will they give me a high credit limit in 1 year with one of their revolving cards ?

Or they look more on my other accounts limit ?

I'm planning in January 2014 to apply for an amex credit card, so it will be backdated to january 2012

I want to be ready for next year and try to get a high limit.

I want to know from personal experience what will impact my first limit they will give me. Mainly my other accounts limit or my history with amex ?

I think both will be considered, just depends which carries the most weight at the time.  Meaning, wait until January 2014.  I say this for several reasons:

1 - all of your cards will have aged one more year, and your AAoA will increase

2 - you may get CLI's with your current cards, which will look good to AMEX. You don't mention what those cards are, but if you rotate usage with your Gold AMEX, you'll likely see some auto CLI's on those other cards.  Just do as you do with the Gold card and PIF always. 

3 - that on time PIF history on your current AMEX card will look really good to AMEX and I think that will carry a lot of weight

4 - If you really, really must apply for an AMEX revolver before 2014, why not consider the Clear card?  I know it's not as attractive as far as benefits, but it is an easy to get revolver, will give you more history with AMEX and in 2014 you can still apply for one of the better benefit cards, and likely get approved. 

5 - also depends on what you mean by "high credit limit".  I think you'll get a higher CL if you apply for something like the Clear card, vs other AMEX products such as Delta or Hilton. If you were to get an AMEX revolver with, say, $2K or $3K limit, you could always request a CLI at a later date.  You could also try a PC at a later date; the idea is to get your foot in the door with AMEX and a revolver.   If you're expecting a $5-$10K limit right off the bat, I think that could be a bit of a stretch, given you credit history. 

Good Luck in  whatever choice you make!  Finding this forum will certainly be to your advantage!  

+1 Good advice.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.