Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX RECON??

tag
millenion
Established Member

AMEX RECON??

Recently apped for the Amex BCP there was a special bonus offer for $250 instead of the usual 150 through credit card.com. Got an instant denial I'm assuming too many inquires because I apped for 2 other cards a week earlier. My AAoA is about 1-2 years no baddies. Is it possible to do a recon when I get the denial letter in the mail or AMEX's decisons are final?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX RECON??

It is possible to recon. You can even call in now if you don't want to wait for the letter. They can explain about the reasons for denial over the phone.

However, the appeal process may result in new inquiries, and Amex rarely overturns their initial decision, except when there's erroneous information in your CR.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 12
Eightiron
Contributor

AmEx recon didnt help me.  I was declined due to a CA, that is all that was stated on the denial letter.  It was an error and was removed.  I called AmEx for a recon, they said it would be another HP,  which was fine,  I was confident it had been removed.  I then got a call back 5 BD later saying I was declined, because I had just been declined within the past 30 days.  I told them the situation and they said I could recon and it would be another HP, I told them to shove it(not really).

Gardening now for that spring harvest Entered 9/4/13 leaving 4/14
Message 3 of 12
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@eightiron: I don't blame you. I think they like it when ppl. call up to 'beg" They may be considersed an "elite" card to have and have a few more perks, but they're not the only card out there.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 4 of 12
millenion
Established Member

@enharu wrote:
It is possible to recon. You can even call in now if you don't want to wait for the letter. They can explain about the reasons for denial over the phone.

However, the appeal process may result in new inquiries, and Amex rarely overturns their initial decision, except when there's erroneous information in your CR.

Do you happen to know the number to call them on why I was denied?

Message 5 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You can check the backdoor sticky for Amex. In order to recon, they will want a copy of your credit report faxed to them along with your reference number. If your cr report has not changed, then the recon will not be successful. They are not looking for explanations but an error that was removed and they can now approve as enharu mentioned.

Good luck!
Message 6 of 12
EJMiv
Valued Member

I was denied by Amex last month, and waited to receive their letter. I just sent a reconsideration letter back a few days ago instead of calling...no reply back yet. If/when I hear something back I'll let you know how it turns out!
Message 7 of 12
EJMiv
Valued Member

FINALLY heard back from Amex last week from the recon letter I mailed in November. They approved, and it appears it did not result in a new inquiry. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to receive a response, but I imagine all these data breaches lately have played a part in the delay...

Message 8 of 12
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@EJMiv wrote:

FINALLY heard back from Amex last week from the recon letter I mailed in November. They approved, and it appears it did not result in a new inquiry. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to receive a response, but I imagine all these data breaches lately have played a part in the delay...

Nice. I have reconed AMEX once by letter and it took forever for me to get a response. Actually never got a written response, just go the card in the mail. No additional INQ for me either. 

Message 9 of 12
EJMiv
Valued Member

Glad you mentioned that. Something I should add in case others want to try this route...I also never received a written reply, but I did get an email notifying me I had been approved, and the application status page updated to match as well. Card just arrived today! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.