Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX RECON

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX RECON

@LS2982 wrote:
There no hating about it. Its a ridiculous letter and hopefully the OP did not send it off.

+1

It's been said before, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.  None of these posters are "haters", they are simply providing their well-rounded advice so that the OP can levergae a better and successful result.  That's all.  Youngandcreditwrthy, you can also be part of the solution and share with the OP your approach or positive key points for his reconsideration efforts.

:-)

Message 31 of 53
artvandalay
Established Member

Soooo I'm in a similar situation and received a letter from Robert Garinger as well. I decided to email him and here is what I plan on sending him. I could easily not send it and just wait 8-12 months to reapply but I thought an email would be worth a try. I'm happy to hear your opinion and whether or not u think I should send it. Let me know!

"Hi Robert,
My name is Art Vandalay. I recently received a letter from you (or your office) confirming that my application for a Blue Cash Everyday Card was denied. For ease of access, I've included the reference number in the subject line however I will include it here in the body of this email as well. It is Ref # 123456789.

When I called American Express a week and a half ago to check on the status of the card, I was informed that the application was denied. When I requested an explanation, the representative provided the basis for the decision. Ordinarily I would simply wait a couple months to reapply however I decided to write this email because I found the representatives explanation to be inadequate when considering the aggregate circumstances. Here is what I mean:

In January 2013, I was pre-approved for an America Express Business Card based on my tax payer ID, credit profile and income. I am a sole proprietor of a business and the only employee. Aside from a modest & mundane set of business expenses and write-offs for my profession, my gross income is consistent. It is with this information that I was approved for an American Express Business card with NPSL.

Because I want to expand my credit profile and take advantage of the rewards program offered through American Express, I didn't think it was a problem to apply and be approved for a Blue Cash Everyday Card since the same credit profile, income, employer, etc would be used. Yet I was not approved and as I previously stated, the explanation was insufficient AND inconsistent given my approval for the business card.

I have been an authorized user on my wife's Costco American Express card and have PAID IN FULL the balance of that card consistently - month to month. What's noteworthy about that is that my wife stays at home with our son, so even though I'm simply an "authorized user", it is in fact my earned income that pays American Express every month. While it's not expected for you to know that, given the circumstances, it's important for you to know who is faithfully and consistently paying an American Express balance every month.

While my current credit profile reflects someone who struggled with credit as a youth, I'm confident that if you looked at the recent activity on my credit profile (consider the last 5 years) you would identify me as someone who pays as promised, on time and consistently. I have paid off three car loans, two sets of student loans, my mortgage has NEVER been late and my credit usage has always remained in check and balances paid in full - every month. I understand the current (flawed) FICO and credit reporting system doesn't disregard errors individuals such as myself made as a youth just gaining access to credit. However I expect individuals such as yourself to manually review circumstances such as this, considering ALL the data including recent credit behaviors. By doing so, I expect you to realize that I am not an individual who purchased a home at too high of a valuation then continued to over leverage by taking out a HELOC's I would have trouble paying back and other irresponsible behaviors. That is not the basis for my denial. The basis for my denial was a couple late payments I made in my early 20's that I continue to be penalized for. I'm XX years old now - graduated from college, operating a profitable small business with a family at home. I am, who you want to do business with as a consumer. I hope you and your colleagues will reconsider and agree with me.

In addition to email, I may be contacted at the phone number and mailing address you have on file. I do expect this email finds you in good health and I do expect to hear from you shortly.
Warm regards and best wishes,

Art F. Vandalay

Yes or no?
Message 32 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

to OP:

Is that 12 inquiries in 12 months, or was it over 24 months?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 53
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
LOL...
I think the letter sounds halfway decent... What a bunch of haters.
You could modeately alter it, but again.. What a bunch of haters..
Why don't you guys show your example of a recon letter....;-)

Some of us have never had to recon, therefore no letter has ever been needed.

I have to agree with the other posters and say that his letter is both childish and unprofessional. If I was a cheeky CSR (as I'm a cheeky individual IRL), I'd recommend his other accounts for a FR just for what he wrote. This isn't about being a hater, but simply about that letter being immature since he didn't get what he wanted.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 53
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
LOL...
I think the letter sounds halfway decent... What a bunch of haters.
You could modeately alter it, but again.. What a bunch of haters..
Why don't you guys show your example of a recon letter....;-)

Some of us have never had to recon, therefore no letter has ever been needed.

I have to agree with the other posters and say that his letter is both childish and unprofessional. If I was a cheeky CSR (as I'm a cheeky individual IRL), I'd recommend his other accounts for a FR just for what he wrote. This isn't about being a hater, but simply about that letter being immature since he didn't get what he wanted.

+1

Well said and right on point CreditScholar.

Message 35 of 53
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
If I was the recipient of that letter it would hit garbage can and you'd still be denied. The last thing you want to come off as on a recon is cocky and aggressive.

+111111 in a big way. That letter would reinforce my denial decision.
Message 36 of 53
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

It's nice that you all posted your opinions; but I don't care. I mailed it and that's that. If I get the card great; if not, oh well it's not like I don't have others. And yes, I fully deserve to be a cocky jacka$$ because this is America.

AMERICA!

*edit* enharu: 12 in 24 months

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 37 of 53
danielodonoll
New Contributor

I understand why this letter didnt come the way the PO wanted to but for a good reason i might add.

I really think that you should have been a little more careful with that recon letter.

Remember we need the banks more then they  need us.Why?....Because we go to them for the simple reason! We need their money,We need the trade line reporting,

We need the credit history.You are right for been frasturated but also you are wrong for thinking we hate on you.

We all in the fico community trying to help and we doing so in a manner of sharing the experience we have.

Eatherway i wish you good luck and hope you get what you wish

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 38 of 53
nolongeraneqaddict
Valued Member

@a3quit4s wrote:

It's nice that you all posted your opinions; but I don't care. I mailed it and that's that. If I get the card great; if not, oh well it's not like I don't have others. And yes, I fully deserve to be a cocky jacka$$ because this is America.

AMERICA!

*edit* enharu: 12 in 24 months

And this is why we cant have nice things...

a3quit4s, I hope it works out for you, but I don't think your letter will help. As others have stated it comes off as cocky and immature. When you have to write to someone else, take a step back from the situation, examine your target audience and his/her position on the issue so that you can address your message to them and their needs. They are the one that can help you, you need to meet their needs, not the other way around.

START (01/13):TU: 701 | EQ: 692 | EX: 706
CURRENT: TU: 739 (FICO 5/13) | EQ: 711 (FICO 2/13) | EX: 725 (PLUS 5/13) in the garden since 3/9/2013
GOALS: 750 by 01/14
Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier | Chase Freedom | Chase Slate | AMEX Blue Cash Everday | Citi Dividend |
Citi Simplicity | USAA Rewards | Walmart Discover |
Message 39 of 53
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

@finstar... Ive actually never had to write a letter for a recon! Lol :-P
I did recently write a letter to Citi's Credit Burea Reporting Dept requesting they remove the third inquiry they pulled, which was unauthorized. I was surprised that I typed a whole page. I faxed it in, actually lol.
Of course, you want to be respectful in these types of situations! I thought everyone was seeming mean with no positive criticism. It is also worth noting that many banks are Customer Satisfaction centered, and many times they need to be hassled to get what needs to get done, DONE! Lol Think about this: being super sweet and a pushover in a business deal won't get you the best deal. I am not advocating a surly attitude, however.

@ls- a bank can't be punitive to you just because they want; afaik and legally, there has to be a credit-related reason- so no, I don't think they could just AA him because he was an unruly customer.

To each his own though! We all have our own methods of being successful with our credit ventures. All in all, just gotta make sure we pay dem billlllzzzzz and keep our cred in check. :-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.