Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Raising my APR AGAIN

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX Raising my APR AGAIN

True. I'm still surprised that they didn't change the purchase APR, though. Smiley Surprised
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
True. I'm still surprised that they didn't change the purchase APR, though. Smiley Surprised

I think maybe the larger business picture is beginning to prevail over the preceding panic. I suspect that their marketing studies already show the issuers that being "nice" to the right segment of their cardholder base yields a substantial competitive advantage. Even Chase seems to be softening ever so slightly. Then next few months will be very interesting.
Message 32 of 34
MattH
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I think maybe the larger business picture is beginning to prevail over the preceding panic. I suspect that their marketing studies already show the issuers that being "nice" to the right segment of their cardholder base yields a substantial competitive advantage. Even Chase seems to be softening ever so slightly. Then next few months will be very interesting.

Well, I cannot see any rhyme or reason to their actions: with both AMEX and Chase I have very long and clean history, with substantial purchase activity on both cards (I'm careful to spread my business around all my cards) and not carrying a balance for some years.  So how come Chase still has my purchase APR at 5.24% and AMEX raises it to prime+12% now?  They cannot both be right about me as a customer.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 33 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the problem. There is no rhyme or reason one card does what it does while another leaves apr's alone and cl's alone. I have had no credit limit decreases at all but I have had several apr increases. I had two cards with fixed apr's that are now variable and they are prime plus all different numbers ranging from prime plus 7.99 to prime plus 13.99! WTF? Who knows what any of them are thinking. When the smoke clears, they are going to be begging customers to come back and the hard feelings will not be forgotten and those cards will remain in the sock drawer gathering dust. Maybe then they will get the message!!!

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.