Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Raising my APR AGAIN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Raising my APR AGAIN

Smiley Sad I am starting to see AMEX is weird and weirder..
Message 21 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

AMEX has always marched to the beat of their own drummer.
Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can guarantee AMEX that if they are bulling with their customers especially myself. They will not make any money off my account. I can assure you that.Although I have AMEX Blue Sky with 0%APR for 15 months end March 2010. I wont use the card anymore, they are making me mad. I rather use my Visa and Mastercard instead.

No more games AMEX, the more games you play the more money you lose.

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received another letter from Amex, this time on my clear card. I did a balance transfer a while back which carried a 2.99 for life rate. The letter states that they are raising my APR to 13.99 plus prime (17.24) on new purchases and existing balances. The sentence reads:

"These charges apply to existing balances and future balances on your account."

Does this apply to my balance transfer that I have been paying on for a few years at the 2.99 rate? Can they do that? They entered into an agreement with me for "life of the balance" which is the only reason I did this. It is one of the few cards I carry a balance on due to this agreement. Can anyone tell me if this will also go up on 10/1, the effective date? I think this would really be a breach of agreement if they do this to me since I have 3 amex cards and am an excellent customer and have been for years!! I hope someone can answer this question as if they are raising it, I will transfer to my Citibank who is offering 1.99 until 11/2010 by which time I will have it paid off but I would rather not incur the 3% bal transfer fee! Thanks to anyone who can help me!!

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Aprilangel,

I got the same letter as you and I'm not very clear about it. When I apply for the card, they offer 0% APR for 15 months til March 2010. So now I receive that letter with APR change and the same statement say 

"These charges apply to existing balances and future balances on your account." I don't know if my 0% APR still applied. I might have to call in and discuss this issue with them. I hate card issuers turn their back on their offers,so fake and liar bastarddd..

Message 25 of 34
cabarkeep
New Contributor

got the same RJ letter ...raising apr blah blah blah ... AMEX is junk ... im tired of AMEX and their "business decisions" ... make the changes if people are in fact delinquent on their accounts ..not paying on time...over limit etc ...but quit trying to base your decisions on the crystal ball ...

it just seems to be pissing off most of your customers with good credit standings ...

But on the flip side ..i would rather have a rate jack than a Credit Limit Decrease and then a chase of the balance....

Message 26 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Anybody bother to make the phone call yet?
Message 27 of 34
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I got the letter - increase in APR, but no fees for over the limit amymore.

Called Amex and was told that it was NOT targetted to any patricular accounts, but was companywide

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 28 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My letter came while I was watching the rain at the beach. Smiley Tongue No change in purchase APR, just changes in cash advance APR, APR on overdue payments, and something something. (Sorry, just drove 500+ miles and then read through 27 pieces of mail, and my brain is fried.)

The new cash advance APR was prime plus 21.99%, I think, and prime plus 23.99% on the late stuff. Plus the bit about no fee for OL, whoopee.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 34
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
My letter came while I was watching the rain at the beach. Smiley Tongue No change in purchase APR, just changes in cash advance APR, APR on overdue payments, and something something. (Sorry, just drove 500+ miles and then read through 27 pieces of mail, and my brain is fried.)

The new cash advance APR was prime plus 21.99%, I think, and prime plus 23.99% on the late stuff. Plus the bit about no fee for OL, whoopee.

I think a lot of loan sharks charge less than prime plus 21.99%Smiley Mad

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.