Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Recon advice

tag
UGA2013
New Visitor

AMEX Recon advice

Long time reader but first time poster.

Need some advice on an AMEX recon. Applied for the AMEX Delta Gold Card this morning and was instantly approved for $5100. My FICO score from here is 715. I then immediately applied for the Hilton Surpass Card. I am starting a job that I stay at Hilton Brand Hotels at least 100 nights per year. I added my fiancee as an AU. I got a message to call in to verify some information to get my approval decision. I called and they said that it is because I applied twice in 1 day so the second application would take 3-4 days. I knew this didn't sound right so I called the backdoor number.

The guy told me that the hangup on my account appeared to be my authorized user. He said he was going to process the application for me. He put me on hold to talk to the manager and came back and said that I just had to wait 6 days for the decision and there is nothing he could do.

What if anything should I do from here? Would dropping my authorized user for the time being help or should I just let the 6 days pass? Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: AMEX Recon advice

It might be a little late to drop the AU now and make a difference. From my understanding and other postings, AU can sometimes bring up some red flags. It probably would have been best to open the account and then at least a billing statement later add the AU. Best thing to do now is probably wait it out, and if they come back and say they can't do it because of the AU then mention that the AU can be dropped with no issues. Hopefully they push is through anyways, AMEX can sometimes be a toss up! 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 2 of 7
UGA2013
New Visitor

Ok that makes sense. I went ahead with the AU because they have much better credit than I do so I figured there was not any circumstance in which they would be the hold up and not me. I am also an AU on her AMEX BCP if that makes any difference.

Message 3 of 7
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Well that's interesting, I would figure the AU having the credit issues and that's why there was a hold up.. .hmmm I wonder why the AU is bringing up the red flag. Did they mention any reason behind it? 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 4 of 7
UGA2013
New Visitor

Nope just said they were trying to verify. The AU has a mid 700's credit score and was approved for the BCP about 2 months ago for 10k.

Message 5 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

You are going to have to wait it out. If it comes back negative on the Surpass then you recon, but wait for the letter so you can have a rebuttal for each point of decline. I have had a successful recon but I did it in writing and it took about 40 days. You could also opt to reapply for same card if declined, just wait 30 days and apply again sans AU. 

Message 6 of 7
UGA2013
New Visitor

@scenery_guy wrote:

You are going to have to wait it out. If it comes back negative on the Surpass then you recon, but wait for the letter so you can have a rebuttal for each point of decline. I have had a successful recon but I did it in writing and it took about 40 days. You could also opt to reapply for same card if declined, just wait 30 days and apply again sans AU. 

Figured as much. Thanks so much for the advice. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.