Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

Hey guys, so the annual fee for my Premier Rewards Gold card kicked in a month ago. I only ran about $950 through the card in a year (never redeemed my points) either whatsoever and have swiped my money through other credit cards I have. Because of this, I called multiple times to threaten to cancel the card to get the AF waived to no success like I was instructed on here and through other blogs. They tried offering me a $75 credit (which is pointless because I would still have to pay $100 for a card I don't even use). So long story short after about 10 phone calls back to back, I ended up getting p*ssed because none of the reps at the retention department were waiving the fee so I just flat out told them to cancel it and close the account. 

So here is my problem: Everyone on here says that it will not show as a closed account on your credit report for 10 years. That is not a true statement. I just checked all my FICO bureaus and they all have my AMEX card reported as "Account closed at consumer request." My Equifax score went from a 749 to a 664 because of this!!! I am mad as hell right now.

Anyone else have this problem or is this a first? 

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

Do you have other cards?  Was this figuring significantly into your util?   Need more info.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 55
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so the annual fee for my Premier Rewards Gold card kicked in a month ago. I only ran about $950 through the card in a year (never redeemed my points) either whatsoever and have swiped my money through other credit cards I have. Because of this, I called multiple times to threaten to cancel the card to get the AF waived to no success like I was instructed on here and through other blogs. They tried offering me a $75 credit (which is pointless because I would still have to pay $100 for a card I don't even use). So long story short after about 10 phone calls back to back, I ended up getting p*ssed because none of the reps at the retention department were waiving the fee so I just flat out told them to cancel it and close the account. 

So here is my problem: Everyone on here says that it will not show as a closed account on your credit report for 10 years. That is not a true statement. I just checked all my FICO bureaus and they all have my AMEX card reported as "Account closed at consumer request." My Equifax score went from a 749 to a 664 because of this!!! I am mad as hell right now.

I don't think anyone here said it would not show as closed but rather it will remain on your report for at least 10 years. You may have interpreted it the wrong way. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 55
baller4life
Super Contributor

I believe you misunderstood. It's not that a closed card won't report closed for 10 years. It reports closed usually within a month of being closed. It will continue to report as a positive tradeline for 10 yrs. Which means it still is factored into your AAoA. But, not your utilization.

Message 4 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

No knowledgable poster here would say that it wouldn't report as 'Closed' on your credit report.  Having it reported as closed does not hurt your credit and is not responsible for any credit score drop.  The PRG does not affect your utilization at all. Something else caused that.

Message 5 of 55
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

An 85 point drop seems very drastic though, is there anything else that's affecting it?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

Do you have other cards?  Was this figuring significantly into your util?   Need more info.

It's the PRG.  Charge cards don't affect your utilization

Message 7 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I don;t know why you would be upset at the Amex CSRs who wouldn't waive the AF.  You barely spent any money on the card and they're not going to waive a $195 AF where $100 of it comes back in airline fees credit for $950 spend..

Message 8 of 55
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A closed card notes as closed on your report, but the payment history should remain, only the status changes.

A closed card will NOT create an 85 point drop, unless that were your only card, ever, but even then I'd not expect that much of a drop.

To get that far below 700, one has to have negatives somewhere on the file, else the score is just going to drop to 700, worst case if all cards get closed in good standing.

Do some research, let us know what you find. Something else is causing this score change, not the closed PRG.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have noted, the card closing did not cause the drop. You need to pull your report to see what happened.

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.