Re: AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

Did you figure out what caused it?
Message 21 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so the annual fee for my Premier Rewards Gold card kicked in a month ago. I only ran about $950 through the card in a year (never redeemed my points) either whatsoever and have swiped my money through other credit cards I have. Because of this, I called multiple times to threaten to cancel the card to get the AF waived to no success like I was instructed on here and through other blogs. They tried offering me a $75 credit (which is pointless because I would still have to pay $100 for a card I don't even use). So long story short after about 10 phone calls back to back, I ended up getting p*ssed because none of the reps at the retention department were waiving the fee so I just flat out told them to cancel it and close the account. 

So here is my problem: Everyone on here says that it will not show as a closed account on your credit report for 10 years. That is not a true statement. I just checked all my FICO bureaus and they all have my AMEX card reported as "Account closed at consumer request." My Equifax score went from a 749 to a 664 because of this!!! I am mad as hell right now.

Anyone else have this problem or is this a first? 

The PRG has had a fee forever. The CCPs were courteous enough to even offer you any sort of credit; which, you refused. 

Let's keep in mind our rules here.  You can make your point without the added less than kind words

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/td-p/2905196

Message 22 of 55
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

You checked your 'fico bureaus'....

How and using what?

Good point because if he's getting this score drop from CreditKarma, who knows what affect the closing would have as they don't count closed accounts in AAoA calculations. 

Yep. I'm betting CMS flavored score.

Awwww yes! I bet this is a Credit Karma score. It plummets like that after closing a card!

Message 23 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Boo-hoo. 

The PRG has had a fee forever. The CCPs were courteous enough to even offer you any sort of credit; which, you refused. You got what you asked for....and a little more. 

This is just so not FSR...

The MAJORITY of my replies have been in the approvals section -congratulating those people as well as learning along the way. That should say something. 

Message 24 of 55
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so the annual fee for my Premier Rewards Gold card kicked in a month ago. I only ran about $950 through the card in a year (never redeemed my points) either whatsoever and have swiped my money through other credit cards I have. Because of this, I called multiple times to threaten to cancel the card to get the AF waived to no success like I was instructed on here and through other blogs. They tried offering me a $75 credit (which is pointless because I would still have to pay $100 for a card I don't even use). So long story short after about 10 phone calls back to back, I ended up getting p*ssed because none of the reps at the retention department were waiving the fee so I just flat out told them to cancel it and close the account. 

So here is my problem: Everyone on here says that it will not show as a closed account on your credit report for 10 years. That is not a true statement. I just checked all my FICO bureaus and they all have my AMEX card reported as "Account closed at consumer request." My Equifax score went from a 749 to a 664 because of this!!! I am mad as hell right now.

Anyone else have this problem or is this a first? 

Boo-hoo. 

The PRG has had a fee forever. The CCPs were courteous enough to even offer you any sort of credit; which, you refused. You got what you asked for....and a little more. 

Let's keep in mind our rules here.  You can make your point without the added less than kind words

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/td-p/2905196

FB_IMG_1444482852076.jpg

Message 25 of 55
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

oh a side note...

not meaning this disrespectful in anyway OP, but...you knew the card has an AF when you applied for it. It goes with the territory, especially AMEX PG's.

If you don't want any AF CC's, just don't apply in the future for cards that have one..problem solved, and you don't have to waste yours or the CSR's time. Most of them don't have the authority anyways to remove the AF, and just transfer you to someone who can, and that person who can will look at your history with them and basically laugh.

No offense again....just, there are way more folks out there who put mega spend on their PRG's , and $950 is pocket change. Smiley Wink

Hope things look up for you...
Message 26 of 55
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Boo-hoo. 

The MAJORITY of my replies have been in the approvals section -congratulating those people as well as learning along the way. That should say something. 

Then maybe you should stick to the approvals...it is what it is...sorry, but we do have to have some level of FSR here. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 55
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Boo-hoo. 

True, but not everything we think must be said out loud. Sometimes it's appropriate to just shake your head and move quietly on.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 28 of 55
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Lmao @ "I'm mad as hell right now".
Message 29 of 55
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Boo-hoo. 

True, but not everything we think must be said out loud. Sometimes it's appropriate to just shake your head and move quietly on.

Youre absolutely right!! Especially when Im posting in the Approvals, LMAO!!!! Smiley Wink ok, remember this is about the OP, not me, LOL Smiley Wink  Just trying to throw in a little humor here..lighten it up in Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.