Did you mean: 

AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

tag
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Reported as "CLOSED?"

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

I just want to be sure I'm following along properly. Sooooo the OP closed a card because the issuer wouldn't credit an annual fee and is upset because its reporting as a closed account? Smiley Frustrated

Sort of. They're upset because they thought it wasn't supposed to report as closed yet, and they're assuming that it caused a large score drop.

Ok and I have surmised the OP is likely using CK not FICO scores,based on the information provided.

Message 41 of 55
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure why several people keep referring to utilization in this score drop.  The PRG is a charge card and in no way affects utilization so closing it would not affect his Fico scores one bit.

I mentioned it but it didn't necessarily have to be due to the charge card but UTL in general was my point.which just coincided with the closing...Lol

Reported higher than usual was my point

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 42 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure why several people keep referring to utilization in this score drop.  The PRG is a charge card and in no way affects utilization so closing it would not affect his Fico scores one bit.

I mentioned it but it didn't necessarily have to be due to the charge card but UTL in general was my point.which just coincided with the closing...Lol

Eh, I wasn't including your post but others.  I knew what you were talking about Smiley Tongue

Message 43 of 55
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Eh, I wasn't including your post but others.  I knew what you were talking about Smiley Tongue

Lol I saw a lot of UTL respnses to Lol 

I was like ummmm Fico 08 doesn't include charge cards now had it been 04 Smiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 44 of 55
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This thread needs to be lightened up a tad...I think Ill post a lil something something in the "approvals"....LOL hehehe Smiley Wink
Message 45 of 55
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

ex5hbv.jpg

Message 46 of 55
myjourney
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
This thread needs to be lightened up a tad...I think Ill post a lil something something in the "approvals"....LOL hehehe Smiley Wink

Pls I wish you would Smiley Mad

Stay out of that forum 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 47 of 55
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Was this Amex card your oldest account by a significant margin? 

I can't think of any other reason for the big drop in score directly associated with the closure.

Message 48 of 55
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Pls I wish you would Smiley Mad

Stay out of that forum 

Dont you threatnen me Mister...cause I will too! You just watch! 

SMH/LOL

Message 49 of 55
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so the annual fee for my Premier Rewards Gold card kicked in a month ago. I only ran about $950 through the card in a year (never redeemed my points) either whatsoever and have swiped my money through other credit cards I have. Because of this, I called multiple times to threaten to cancel the card to get the AF waived to no success like I was instructed on here and through other blogs. They tried offering me a $75 credit (which is pointless because I would still have to pay $100 for a card I don't even use). So long story short after about 10 phone calls back to back, I ended up getting p*ssed because none of the reps at the retention department were waiving the fee so I just flat out told them to cancel it and close the account. 

So here is my problem: Everyone on here says that it will not show as a closed account on your credit report for 10 years. That is not a true statement. I just checked all my FICO bureaus and they all have my AMEX card reported as "Account closed at consumer request." My Equifax score went from a 749 to a 664 because of this!!! I am mad as hell right now.

Anyone else have this problem or is this a first? 

It is incorrect that everyone on here said that a closed account will not show on a credit report for 10 years.  What has been said many times is that the info will remain on your credit report for 10 years so that your AAOA will not change because of closing a card.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.