Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Security Team

tag
cdtotten
Established Contributor

AMEX Security Team

I am not the biggest fan of AMEX right now with all their CLDs and rate increases, but I think it's also important to point out the good things that credit card companies do. I get a call yesterday at 1pm from the security team at AMEX, they told me to either call the 1800 number they provided in the message, or the number on the back of my card.

Call in, get immediately connected with their account security team who asked me if I made a purchase at Walmart.com today. I quickly stated no, they said it was for a camera, told them I didn't buy a camera. They said that this transaction appeared questionable considering it was at a store I don't usually shop at, and was made online. They denied the charge, overnighted me a new one with a new number, which I now have in my hand at 11am. 

It's amazing they can figure out that transaction was questionable, and stop it before it hit my account, even better that they always overnight new cards to customer at no charge.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Security Team

How did the card number get compromise?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome dilligence on their part, not to mention excellent customer service.

Message 3 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

I'm confused.  The OP is more worried about AMEX catching the potential fraud, rather than being concerned about how the card got compromise.  It can happen again, and AMEX may not catch it. 
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be interesting to see who that camera was being shipped to.

Off topic: I've read of an instance where an individual would repeatedly and intentionally leave their card out, so that their spouse could make an "unauthorized" purchase while they were on a business trip, etc.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carefull. You may have got hit with a Robo Call. I got the exact same call on my home phone and cell phone and I have never had any product from Amex.
Message 6 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Just to follow up with a couple posts that followed...

I am not sure how the card was compromised. I use it regularly, but I still have it in my possession and never has it left my possession to my knowledge. The only thing I can think is that some waiter in a restaurant wrote down the information (that type of thing). Of course I am concerned about a compromised card, but there isn't much I could do about it. 

I am happy that they were able to notice this before I had to file a dispute and go through that process.

And just to clarify, I called the number on the back of my card to ensure that it wasn't a scam.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They were great when my card got compromised.

My best guess is that it happened when making hotel reservations, btw.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

I never had a card to be compromised.  But, I have had my Onstar phone number cloned while in NYC years back.  I wouldn't have ever known had Onstar not contact me.  I guess there are ways for people to get what they need without ever touching one's cards. 
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.