Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Serve...Count For Anything?

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

AMEX Serve...Count For Anything?

By anything I mean a foot in the door?  Does AMEX care about users of this card as far as relationship goes?  I know its just a loadable card, but would it make me look any "better" in the eyes of AMEX? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Serve...Count For Anything?

I've read another thread on the topic and it seems like it has no bearing on that at all. Were you looking to apply for anything specifically when it comes to Amex cards?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I've read another thread on the topic and it seems like it has no bearing on that at all. Were you looking to apply for anything specifically when it comes to Amex cards?

I think its similar to bluebird has no real bearing on amex charge or revolvers 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No credit check, no reporting, and it's a pure debit card (where money comes off as it spent, without the "credit" of a fully-secured credit card).  So no, not a way in with Amex.

Message 4 of 9
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

The AmEx Serve does not count toward improving your credit profile, but it does provide marketing leads for AmEx.

One year after receiving my Serve card, I was getting pre-approved offers to apply for the AmEx charge card.

My application was approved, and though the offers could have been the result of other factors, my only relationship with AmEx at the time, was through the Serve card.  So my guess is that there is no harm in getting the Serve - and it just might help you get future offers for the AmEx charge card.

Message 5 of 9
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Funny I have two Amex cards and still get this serve offer every week in the mail Like clockwork! 

Sorry for typos-iPad 

Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

The AmEx Serve does not count toward improving your credit profile, but it does provide marketing leads for AmEx.

One year after receiving my Serve card, I was getting pre-approved offers to apply for the AmEx charge card.

My application was approved, and though the offers could have been the result of other factors, my only relationship with AmEx at the time, was through the Serve card.  So my guess is that there is no harm in getting the Serve - and it just might help you get future offers for the AmEx charge card.

Well, there's no harm, but plenty of people here get pre-approved offers from Amex without Serve or other Amex relationship, so I would put it down to coincidence.

Message 7 of 9
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Nothing specific, I just got declined for the Delta card (BK).  Then I got an email for the Serve card from AMEX, and was hoping it was "something" but I see what you guys mean if its just a debit type card and it doesn't report, I doubt AMEX cares much about how you use it.  Thought it was something better lol. 

Thanks for all the replies!

Message 8 of 9
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Serve and BlueBird are two very separate divisions of AMEX. 

When I app for Amex credit cards, had no issue and was either approved or denied instantly. 

When I apped for BlueBird prepaid they could not verify my information.  Even after sending in my info still no go.

When I apped for Serve, I had to fax in addtional info for ID verification before approval.  

They don't seem to be using the same database. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.