Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Spend Power on Credit Cards

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

AMEX Spend Power on Credit Cards

I have 3 credit cards with Amex and didn't realize the spending power applied to all cards not just my PRG charge card. I saw something here recently and decided to check. Anyway, I checked the spending power, I am able to go about $500 - $2000 over my credit. 

Does this mean I won't be penalized if I go over my CL? 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Spend Power on Credit Cards

Amex credit cards like BCE are equivalent to Visa Signature cards that have the flexible spending feature. You can go over your limit without penalty as long as you pay the amount that your over the limit by the next statement date.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 14
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

I have the BCE, ED, PRG and Gold Delta Skymiles and they all have the spend power feature. I checked and I can go over the limit with them all.

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it new on the home screen? 

I read this thread when it came up and at the time didn't notice this link/button on my home screen. I've got 3 credit and one charge. I just went for a CLI on my EDP and when I was checking to see that it went through, I noticed it there. Do you think it's always been there and I haven't noticed? I think I'd seen it buried in the 'credit management' or some such menu. And I've tried it on my PRG and DH's Plat when we first got them and were meeting bonus spend. But now it's right next to my CL on the credit and next to where it says NPSL on the charge. 

Message 4 of 14
Berk
Established Contributor

Hit that button enough and you won't have any spend power. Too many pushes may trigger an Amex fraud alert and you suddenly find all your accounts frozen.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was never on the home screen by the balance (that I could recall). It was always on the Credit Management screen.

The button itself will let you know when you've hit a limit of how many times you can check the spend limit. It notified me after trying three times a few months ago. It's more of a one and done thing. I wouldn't recommend trying that repeatedly as it could throw up a fraud alert as stated above. 

Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

FWIW that button/link can also be used to let the Amex computers know if you plan to make a purchase that's larger than usual.  This was mentioned in another thread by a forum member who is an Amex employee.

I've used it for this purpose a couple of times and each time the purchase was approved with no further communication necessary.  It might have been anyway, but while standing at the sales counter it was nice knowing it was already 'cleared'.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

FWIW that button/link can also be used to let the Amex computers know if you plan to make a purchase that's larger than usual.  This was mentioned in another thread by a forum member who is an Amex employee.

I've used it for this purpose a couple of times and each time the purchase was approved with no further communication necessary.  It might have been anyway, but while standing at the sales counter it was nice knowing it was already 'cleared'.  Smiley Wink

If we made a purchase that was larger than the credit limit do we have to pay it all off when it's due or can we make payments?

Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

If we made a purchase that was larger than the credit limit do we have to pay it all off when it's due or can we make payments?

If you're over your credit lilmit when the statement is generated they will add any over-limit amount to your minimum payment.  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

If you're over your credit lilmit when the statement is generated they will add any over-limit amount to your minimum payment.  Smiley Sad

What would that look like? If I charged 2000 over-limit. It will be 2000 + minimum payment? 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.