Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Spree Question

tag
godscountry
Regular Contributor

AMEX Spree Question

Hi,

On my spree list, I have narrowed down to Costco TE....this is necessary being that I almost exclusively get my gas from there.  Also, I do most of my grocery shopping there.

For the grocery shopping inside the store I was going to use another card.  the other 2 on my list is Delta and Fidelity.

I am stuck trying to decide on which I need most right now at the moment.

I want the Delta because I am planning trip to Hawaii next year.

I want the Fidelity because 2% CB would be great for everyday spend card and using at Costco....that would add up pretty quickly.

I figure 2 apps would cost me 2 inqs.  Should I do a 3rd app or wait?  Add one more AMEX inquiry?  Does AMEX even allow or has anyone had any experience getting 3 AMEX revolvers at once?  If this is not viable option...should I app for a charge and two revolvers or just go for the 3 revolvers?

Which ever one I dont get, I will app for in another 6 months.

Current Scores: EX 652 I EQ 688 I TU 696
Cards appear in order of approval
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Spree Question

@godscountry wrote:

Hi,

On my spree list, I have narrowed down to Costco TE....this is necessary being that I almost exclusively get my gas from there.  Also, I do most of my grocery shopping there.

For the grocery shopping inside the store I was going to use another card.  the other 2 on my list is Delta and Fidelity.

I want the Fidelity because 2% CB would be great for everyday spend card and using at Costco....that would add up pretty quickly.

I figure 2 apps would cost me 2 inqs.  Should I do a 3rd app or wait?  Add one more AMEX inquiry?  Does AMEX even allow or has anyone had any experience getting 3 AMEX revolvers at once?  If this is not viable option...should I app for a charge and two revolvers or just go for the 3 revolvers?

If those are your current scores listed, I'd wait before I app'd for Amex. 

Just my .02.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

The Fidelity card is not underwritten by Amex.

Message 3 of 15
godscountry
Regular Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

@godscountry wrote:

Hi,

If those are your current scores listed, I'd wait before I app'd for Amex. 

Just my .02.

this is an upcoming spree, I am not apping yet.  my scores are about to go up a lot in the next few weeks as I have 2 collections that will be coming off...which will be the only baddies and my util is about to be at around 1-2%.  I am talking about when my scores hit high 6's, low 7's.  I pretty much know the criteria.

Message 4 of 15
godscountry
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

right...thats why I asked.  so this is a BoA product, correct?  If so....then its conceivable that I do the 2 AMEX apps (for 1 HP) and another HP for the Fidelity AMEX?

Message 5 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@godscountry wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

right...thats why I asked.  so this is a BoA product, correct?  If so....then its conceivable that I do the 2 AMEX apps (for 1 HP) and another HP for the Fidelity AMEX?

AFAIK, the 2-fer trick really only works consistently if you go for a revolver and a charge card on the same day.  I'm relatively sure that two revolver approvals from AMEX would result in 2 HPs.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 15
godscountry
Regular Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@godscountry wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

AFAIK, the 2-fer trick really only works consistently if you go for a revolver and a charge card on the same day.  I'm relatively sure that two revolver approvals from AMEX would result in 2 HPs.  

thats the key word....consistently.  I figured for the longest I would app a charge and revolver but been searching around on this site and found posts where people were doing 2 revolvers for 1 HP.  Is this something I can ask say after I app and get approved for Delta AMEX?  (going for that one first to get foot in the door since people say its the easiest) if they say 2nd revolver would result in HP then I could go for charge?  thats the dilema.  Regardless I may just take the 2 HPs...maybe a 3rd...I really need those revolvers more than I need charge from what I am seeing.

Message 7 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Some have been successful with the two revolvers/1hp trick and some get the pending response. DD was instantly approved for BCE and immediately applied for Delta-she got the pending response and when she called she was told that there would be a 5 day waiting period due to multiple apps. 

Ultimately, they were both approved but it cost 2hps. 

As usual, YMMV

Message 8 of 15
godscountry
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Some have been successful with the two revolvers/1hp trick and some get the pending response. DD was instantly approved for BCE and immediately applied for Delta-she got the pending response and when she called she was told that there would be a 5 day waiting period due to multiple apps. 

Ultimately, they were both approved but it cost 2hps. 

As usual, YMMV

ok, thanks.  that helps me make up my mind then.  being that I need the revolvers more right now...should I not decide to do the charge, I will just be prepared to take the 2 HPs for the 2 revolvers and wait to app for a 3rd one down the line possibly.  I am going to be purchasing a new home...so by the time I go on the spree, I may not need anything else for a while so may go for all 3 revolvers.  has anyone had success with getting 3 at once?

Message 9 of 15
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

@godscountry wrote:

Hi,

I picked up two Amex revolvers and a charge in a month. Don't know about three revolvers, though.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.