Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Standards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Standards

What are AMEX standards? I don't want to get decline.

I have the following items in my EX,TU, and EQ
1 new account with 2000 limit and 0 balance (1 month old)
1 account with 1000 limit and 0 balance (10 months old)
1 account with 500 limit and 0 balance (9 months old

4 inquiries within the last 6 months in EX
2 inquiries last month on TU
2 inquiries within the last 6 months on EQ

Do you think I am qualified for AMEX Blue?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Standards

aden wrote:
What are AMEX standards? I don't want to get decline.

I have the following items in my EX,TU, and EQ
1 new account with 2000 limit and 0 balance (1 month old)
1 account with 1000 limit and 0 balance (10 months old)
1 account with 500 limit and 0 balance (9 months old

4 inquiries within the last 6 months in EX
2 inquiries last month on TU
2 inquiries within the last 6 months on EQ

Do you think I am qualified for AMEX Blue?

Your credit history may be too new. You also have recent credit. Focus only on EX as the other CRAs may not matter at all. Ideally, you want your EX FICO to be in the 700s.
Message 2 of 8
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

The easiest way to enter AMEX's door is to apply for they green card (charge card) or their delta card (regular)

I would wait a bit longer for they history grow before applying.

You can check whogavemecredit.com to compare your scores to ohers.

Hopes this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Forgot to mention.....Amex has a preapproval link you can try:

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention that AMEX sent me pre-selected letters once every month since Feb. They pulled soft inq on TU every month since Feb 08 and then I tried their pre-approved link on 4/08 and it gave me 4 offers. I decided to apply on 4/08 and they declined me for the following reasons:

1. Too few spending on revolving accounts (this is not true because I try to use all my credit and then pay off the balance before the billing cycle ends to make sure the balance is 0 on the reports. So my reports show the following
Balance is 0 paid as of 6/08    high balance 800   credit limit 1000

2. Too new accounts (if this is true then why did they give me 4 offers from their pre-approved link and why do they keep sending me pre-selected letters) my accounts were 8 months old when I applied

This is what I learned from this experience:
1. The pre-approved link is not true because I 've never seen any soft inq on any of my reports on the date or week that I used the link
2. The pre-selected letters that they send don't mean you are qualifed even if nothing changed on your reports since they pulled the soft inq. In my situation, nothing changed on my reports since they pulled soft inq and all my reports have the same data.

Even though my credit is so new (10 months). I don't understand why my fico is 730 EX, 745 TU, and 715 EQ. If the fico system is correct then why AMEX ignored this high score. It indicates that not all banks make decision based on FICO

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that!

Many CCs use a CC-enhanced score to help (among may other factors) decide who gets credit and who doesn't. Amex uses the same type of scoring, but they also have their own in-house scoring system. I was denied in the past and it mentioned they use both.

Also Amex did the same to me, however, my scores were in the high-500s/low-600s at the time. Week after week after week they sent "pre-approval" offers. I knew I wasn't credit-worthy for them, but decided to app anyway. Denied...and the junk mail stopped.

IMO, your scores are good enough, but the new credit hurt.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Fico system pays more attention to the balance owed. I try to keep my balance 0 every month for my ony 2 (9 months old) accounts and that is why my score jumbed to 700+ even with 9 months credit history but unfortunately, AMEX has its own scoring system that is used in addtion to Fico system. So how long should I wait to apply for AMEX blue card? Should I wait until I have at least 1 year history or more?
Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

aden wrote:
I think Fico system pays more attention to the balance owed. I try to keep my balance 0 every month for my ony 2 (9 months old) accounts and that is why my score jumbed to 700+ even with 9 months credit history but unfortunately, AMEX has its own scoring system that is used in addtion to Fico system. So how long should I wait to apply for AMEX blue card? Should I wait until I have at least 1 year history or more?

Most all CCs use their own scoring system. Amex was the only to describe it to me, or in general anyway. Remember, FICO excludes info that lenders need. They also look for employment history, income, and address history. Like the Auto industry using an auto-enhanced score, CC's have their own cc-enhanced score and tend to weight the relationship, types, and history of your CCs.

For more info, check out the CC Forum or ask what Amex Blue is looking for in a customer. You'll have more responses.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.