Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Sucks

tag
jdogi
Contributor

Re: AMEX Sucks

I would just do it now.  No point in waiting for the reports to update.  Explain that this level of utilization was just typical monthly spending and that it only looks high because your limits are so low compared to your income and monthly spending patterns.  Tell them that you almost always pay in full each month.  If that doesn't work, go ahead and tell them that you're a friend of mine Smiley Wink

Seriously you might as well just try to get approved based on the HP that they already have accompanied with your explanation.  In the worst case, just explain that your next statement balances will put your utilization much lower, maybe they will keep the app open and allow another HP once the balances are reported. 

Message 51 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the first American Express number on the backdoor numbers post (800-567-1083) and talked to someone who said that the decision has already been made and there's nothing they can do about it.  I explained the situation, and she said I'd have to talk directly to Experian.  She also told me I could file another application in 30 days, which would generate another credit inquiry.  I politely told her that I'd rather use up my next inquiry with another company.

Message 52 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had some spare time to kill a few days ago, so I called the American Express Executive Office to ask for more details about why my application was denied.  I was transferred to New Accounts, and the person I spoke to said she didn't see any reason why I should've been turned down.  My application was transferred for reconsideration, and I was told that another credit inquiry would NOT be required.

Well, today I got an email saying that my application was approved and more details are on the way.  So, there's the update on how everything worked out.

AMEX still sucks, though.

Message 53 of 58
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had some spare time to kill a few days ago, so I called the American Express Executive Office to ask for more details about why my application was denied.  I was transferred to New Accounts, and the person I spoke to said she didn't see any reason why I should've been turned down.  My application was transferred for reconsideration, and I was told that another credit inquiry would NOT be required.

Well, today I got an email saying that my application was approved and more details are on the way.  So, there's the update on how everything worked out.

AMEX still sucks, though.

Well at least you got an approval at the end of all of it. Glad it all worked out!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 54 of 58
r34dy2fly
Contributor

I don't quite get why you're upset about the whole situation. So an automatic system denied you. Instead of taking the advice of everyone around here telling you to just call them, you waited for a letter that apparently meant nothing since they approved it once you called them.

This doesn't make AMEX a horrible company. If they started stealing money from you then I can understand your distaste for AMEX.

Message 55 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Machines are not perfect and mistakes are made, it is your job as the consumer to catch them and correct them.  The difference with an AMEX or Discover is that they will try to right a wrong.  Try to get Cap1 or HSBC to admit they made a mistake.

Message 56 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

injustifiiable wrote:

Well at least you got an approval at the end of all of it. Glad it all worked out!

Thanks!

Message 57 of 58
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Machines are not perfect and mistakes are made, it is your job as the consumer to catch them and correct them.  The difference with an AMEX or Discover is that they will try to right a wrong.  Try to get Cap1 or HSBC to admit they made a mistake.

Working on it. I'll let you know what happens. Smiley Wink

Congrats to the OP on getting the approval. It's amazing what can happen in the credit world with a little help from myFICO and friends. I wouldn't have had a needle in a haystack clue that you could actually call and ask for a CLI the same day you were approved for a card, let alone overturn a denial! Great place, innit? 

Message 58 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.