Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX TE Costco card?????

tag
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

AMEX TE Costco card?????

Would they frown on a BK 7 from 2005 as well being thats its a co branded card???

Just warming up for my app spree sometime in July-August...

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX TE Costco card?????

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

Would they frown on a BK 7 from 2005 as well being thats its a co branded card???

Just warming up for my app spree sometime in July-August...

I've read that this particular card requires excellent credit history, and is not BK friendly. There are also accounts of people getting the card with old discharged BK's. On the whole, Amex is NOT BK friendly, and this is a real Amex card (backdating, Amex Centurion reporting on your CR, susceptible to FRs etc.). I've been doing research on this card for about 8 months and have read thousands of posts regarding its selective criteria. This will be a YMMV situation, however we would love to know they outcome either way!

Message 2 of 13
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for this card in Jan 2011 and my bk just fell off this last month so at the time it was  almost 9 years old with at at least 3 years of no baddies.  I first was approved almost 3 months prior for the Zync then I went ahead and was approved for amex tu.  CL was only for 1,200 but happy to have a revolver from Amex.  At the time my scores were higher uti was much less, and I have added a few accounts lately.  

Your scores are pretty good, so if you can take handling the inquiry I would say do it.  Have you had any other baddies since 2005? 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 3 of 13
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@halos24 wrote:

I was approved for this card in Jan 2011 and my bk just fell off this last month so at the time it was  almost 9 years old with at at least 3 years of no baddies.  I first was approved almost 3 months prior for the Zync then I went ahead and was approved for amex tu.  CL was only for 1,200 but happy to have a revolver from Amex.  At the time my scores were higher uti was much less, and I have added a few accounts lately.  

Your scores are pretty good, so if you can take handling the inquiry I would say do it.  Have you had any other baddies since 2005? 

No other baddies since BK....I have one collection  to come off in December....most of my INQ will be at least a year old if not longer.....I apped in November for a regular Amex green and was shot down because of my BK.....

my ex score was 685

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can vouch for the backdating service they provide. Even though I closed my AMEX accounts back in 2010, they welcomed me as a member since 1999, which is when I opened my first card before going away to college (i chose AMEX because of that cool Blue Cash Card commercial on tv, remember that?). Reading other threads, I can support the fact that AMEX is not bk friendly, but they will grant cards to people who have come out of bk. If if helps, I can give you a little of my credit history, as I had applied on March 2, 2012 and was approved on March 8 with a 3500 CL. The TE card does not come with a complimentary EQ FICO score unfortunately, so I cannot provide you that, but it should be close to my other scores in my signature (I hope). At the time I applied, I had 6081 non-mortgage balances showing, student loans mostly and one personal loan. My AAoA was 10 years, oldest account being 12 years old, 4 inquiries within the last 2 years, but closer to the 2 year mark and set to fall off after May, and 2 30 day late notices, dating back to 2007. My CC debt was zero, and all accounts had been closed by user, After I was approved I received their EX plus FAKO score, and that is 680, which included their inquiry. Good luck! And if you decide to apply, heed my advice: apply AT a Costco! You will receive an instant approval/denial. If you apply online like I did, it takes them a week to confirm if you have a membership, even though they SP your EX the moment you apply and pretty much know if you are approved or not; this card is contingent on your membership, so that is why they can't issue without your membership number. I love the card though, I don't even have to sign for my purchases.
Message 5 of 13
halos24
Frequent Contributor

My EX score at the time was probably around 660 that was a true EX from my credit union.  Again, Amex uses their own scoring system and if you can spare the inquiry incase you are not approved go ahead.  Way I see it honestly if I was approved no doubt you would Smiley Tongue.  Keep us posted, just know if you do it online (I did) it does take about 2 weeks or so for me it took 1 week since they need to verify your costco membership.

I also love this card!  I received my first rewards check last month and it was great to see as this is my primary card for gas, Costco trips and at times restaurants. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should note that applying for a Zync helps you get a revolver card, and Zync has a more lenient approval process, so this might be the same route you should take. Try the CC section of the forum for others' experiences, but ymmv.
Message 7 of 13
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I should note that applying for a Zync helps you get a revolver card, and Zync has a more lenient approval process, so this might be the same route you should take. Try the CC section of the forum for others' experiences, but ymmv.

I think December /January I will app for the zync card...im just worried cause me BK will be 7 yrs 7 months old then...but no other baddies will remain.....you think that card would be easier to get than the AMEX TE card???

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think December /January I will app for the zync card...im just worried cause me BK will be 7 yrs 7 months old then...but no other baddies will remain.....you think that card would be easier to get than the AMEX TE card???

I took the "foot in the door" approach to get the Amext TE... I plan to app this fall but I have obtained a Zync and a Gold Card in the meantime Smiley Happy. It should be noted that I have never filed for BK but I am on the tail end of rebuilding.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on what I have seen in the forums, yes. I cannot guarantee it since I have no personal experience, but many people have seen success. Review the AMEX approval thread and you will see many of members posted information about their zync approvals. I wish you the best of luck!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.