Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Trap???

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Trap???

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think amex is still the #1 bank for someone who does NOT want a credit and pays there balance in full each month.  I'm sure someone that has experienced different with there charge card will want to shoot me, but as fast as amex CLD our accounts, they have given us more spending line on the charge cards.

They are trying to bring there business back to what it use to be, ALL CHARGE CARDS.

I mean how many years was it before amex offered there first optima CREDIT CARD and it wasn't until what 2000 that they introduced the blue and then took off in credit card market after blue. 

Well, mine is a classic AMEX Gold charge card, but even those allow deferring payment on some charges under "Sign and Travel."  But if they don't want people carrying balances, why did I get a mailing in January reminding me that I could defer payment on some of my holiday bills if I chose to.  Since at the moment my wife and I have cash reserves well in excess of our combined credit card balances, I did not choose to defer paying any of my holiday spending.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think that program was designed when amex got into credit cards, but if you take it, you can't charge on your account until the previous balance is paid off if I'm not mistaken... so I kind of always looked at is amex' life raft if you got in over your head on your charge card, you could take the bailout and loose your charge card but not get negative impact on credit while you fixed your mistake and paid charges over a month or so.

but you take that bailout and you might not see your charge card again and if you do, you will be on a much shorter charging leash.

We got a letter over 2 years ago that our account "no longer qualified for sign and travel but our charge card would still work" so never had to even think about using it! lol 

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't take a green card from them. I was getting the preappovals for months from them for platinum. I finally did call and told them I wanted a different card though and they gave it to me. I would never take a card that you have to pay off at the end or has no real set limit on it. Too many variables to mess you with.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.