Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Travel

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: AMEX Travel

Those promos are long gone, and haven't resurfaced for the past year at least. Robot Sad

Message 41 of 60
Alcibiades
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

Sometimes using "Pay With Points" is actually a good value. For example I used 37.7K points recently to purchase a EWR-SFO flight on United (the cash cost of the flight was $377). I usually fly Delta, and Delta was asking for 50,000 Skymiles for a JFK-SFO flight. For the most part, a transcontinental flight will run you at least 40,000 miles in coach (if you want to fly nonstop) regardless of the alliance or carrier. While I could have just paid cash, for this particular flight I didn't want to use cash, so I used points... On a "point per mile flown" basis (37.7K points for over 5,000 miles RT), this is a pretty good redemption.

However, usually, you get better value transfering to various partners.

If you had transferred those points to Aeroplan, you could have booked the flight on United through Aeroplan for 25k MR points round trip. That's why transferring represents such a great value!  You might want to check it out next time you want to redeem.

45k MR points can get you to hawaii Smiley Very Happy

Here is the chart:  http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do

Thanks - I actually did check this - there was no United availability (nonstop) on the dates I needed

Message 42 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

You can transfer your MR points to Avios till June 6 for 35% bonus. As mentioned earlier, you can book with AA using Avios.

Message 43 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

When you book on AA using Avios, do you do it from the British Airways website?

I would move 16k points now to get the bonus, but I'm a little unsure about how to book.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 44 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I would move 16k points now to get the bonus, but I'm a little unsure about how to book.

Webhopper, you can either call BA or book it on Avios website itself. First you need to check if AA has any flights on your dates under rewards, (Which is mostly the case).

This link is all you need: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/05/sunday-reader-question-how-to-book-american-airlines-flights-with-br...

Message 45 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Webhopper, you can either call BA or book it on Avios website itself. First you need to check if AA has any flights on your dates under rewards, (Which is mostly the case).

This link is all you need: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/05/sunday-reader-question-how-to-book-american-airlines-flights-with-br...

OMG I figured it out.

You are awesome...

I did find out that the points needed for Avios and Aeroplan are the same for the particular flight I buy most..  It will save me money though If I don't have to pay that $25 fee that Aeroplan charges per passenger.

Does 1 Avios = 1 AA mile?

FICO 9:

Message 46 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

OMG I figured it out.

You are awesome...

I did find out that the points needed for Avios and Aeroplan are the same for the particular flight I buy most..  It will save me money though If I don't have to pay that $25 fee that Aeroplan charges per passenger.

Does 1 Avios = 1 AA mile?

haha Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Avios is > 1 Advantage mile. 

Message 47 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thats good to know... with the 35% BA bonus, my MR points will be worth almost .02 per points when used to book these flights from Tulsa to BTR for my daughter.

FICO 9:

Message 48 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have another question...

If DH gets approved for his own charge card in the future... can he and I share an MR program number?

FICO 9:

Message 49 of 60
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I have another question...

If DH gets approved for his own charge card in the future... can he and I share an MR program number?

Ahh Tulsa.. I am there every month :-)

MR program attached to account, if you add your DH as an additional used than only you guys can share the same MR account.

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.