Reply
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel

Delta miles aren't a good value when compared to British Airways miles or even Aeroplan miles for that matter.


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
sengpatt
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎12-08-2012
0

Re: AMEX Travel

[ Edited ]

Open123 wrote:

The MR partners are members of what they call the Star Alliance or One World.  It's just a group of carriers who have all agreed to allow each other's miles to book on each carrier.  For example, if there's an MR bonus for BA, you can transfer MR points for the bonus for Avios, then use the Avios to book a flight other carriers which may offer more value than BA, given it's high surcharges.

 

So, if there's a bonus for Aeroplan for example, you can transfer the MR points to Aeroplan for the bonus.  But, since Aeroplan has high fuel charges, you can use the Aero miles to book on other Star Alliance members using the miles for a better value than you otherwise would had you transferred directly without the bonus.

 

It gets all pretty convoluted, unless you can isolate a carrier, route and time of travel.  Then, you can narrow in on the best opportunities.  Part of the challenge is searching for Star Alliance flights because most carriers won't have it on their site.  You have to call and do it manually.  What I do is use ANA tool which searches on ANA's site for all available Star Alliance flights.  After finding the one I want, then I'll call the airlines for the reservation after transferring the miles.

 

It takes some effort, but great value can be had from MR points if done opportunisitically.


I haven't done this before, but isn't it too that you actually have to have miles *in* an ANA frequent flyer account in order to use their search tool? As if trying to book award flights wasn't complicated enough...

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Established Contributor
zeusta20
Posts: 586
Registered: ‎02-22-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel


webhopper wrote:

You can use some points and charge the rest.

 

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets :smileyvery-happy:


DAMMIT!!! I booked a flight not too long ago with MR. I should've transferred to the airline now that I see that its worth it more.

 

When you transfer to an airline, but you still dont have enough to book the flight, are you still able to use SOME points to pay for a least part of it like you can do through the AMEX TRAVEL?

 

Any one know????

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel


zeusta20 wrote:

webhopper wrote:

You can use some points and charge the rest.

 

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets :smileyvery-happy:


DAMMIT!!! I booked a flight not too long ago with MR. I should've transferred to the airline now that I see that its worth it more.

 

When you transfer to an airline, but you still dont have enough to book the flight, are you still able to use SOME points to pay for a least part of it like you can do through the AMEX TRAVEL?

 

Any one know????


This varies. I know that aeroplan lets you pay part with miles and pay for the rest out of pocket.


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,155
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel


sengpatt wrote:

I haven't done this before, but isn't it too that you actually have to have miles *in* an ANA frequent flyer account in order to use their search tool? As if trying to book award flights wasn't complicated enough...


Yes, you must have some ANA miles.  

 

There are two ways to accomplish this:  (1) get their credit card for a minor sign up bonus, which is issued by FNBO; (2) move over 1,000 MR points for instant access. The tool is well worth it for some airlines (US Air for instance) with excellent redemptions but offers no method to search for Star Alliance partner flights aside from calling the CSR, which is *always* hit or miss, at best.

Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,155
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel


zeusta20 wrote:

webhopper wrote:

You can use some points and charge the rest.

 

The real value in booking travel with Amex using your points comes from transferring those points to airline partners to exchange for free tickets :smileyvery-happy:


DAMMIT!!! I booked a flight not too long ago with MR. I should've transferred to the airline now that I see that its worth it more.

 

When you transfer to an airline, but you still dont have enough to book the flight, are you still able to use SOME points to pay for a least part of it like you can do through the AMEX TRAVEL?

 

Any one know????


You're almost *always* better off moving the MR points to the FF program and redeem directly.  

 

MR travel, SPG travel and UR travel will *sometimes* offer a better deal than direct redemption if the stars and planets all align, but I've yet to be lucky enough to check when there thus aligned.

 

The only possible exception would be the 20% bonus conferred by the MR First program, which is available only to Amex Plat and Centurion cards.  However, for the Plat, this 20% bonus will go away in October.

 

Not sure which will allow for "cash + miles," but it would depend on the carrier.  

Contributor
Alcibiades
Posts: 114
Registered: ‎05-17-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel

[ Edited ]

Sometimes using "Pay With Points" is actually a good value. For example I used 37.7K points recently to purchase a EWR-SFO flight on United (the cash cost of the flight was $377). I usually fly Delta, and Delta was asking for 50,000 Skymiles for a JFK-SFO flight. For the most part, a transcontinental flight will run you at least 40,000 miles in coach (if you want to fly nonstop) regardless of the alliance or carrier. While I could have just paid cash, for this particular flight I didn't want to use cash, so I used points... On a "point per mile flown" basis (37.7K points for over 5,000 miles RT), this is a pretty good redemption.

 

However, usually, you get better value transfering to various partners.

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel


Alcibiades wrote:

Sometimes using "Pay With Points" is actually a good value. For example I used 37.7K points recently to purchase a EWR-SFO flight on United (the cash cost of the flight was $377). I usually fly Delta, and Delta was asking for 50,000 Skymiles for a JFK-SFO flight. For the most part, a transcontinental flight will run you at least 40,000 miles in coach (if you want to fly nonstop) regardless of the alliance or carrier. While I could have just paid cash, for this particular flight I didn't want to use cash, so I used points... On a "point per mile flown" basis (37.7K points for over 5,000 miles RT), this is a pretty good redemption.

 

However, usually, you get better value transfering to various partners.


If you had transferred those points to Aeroplan, you could have booked the flight on United through Aeroplan for 25k MR points round trip. That's why transferring represents such a great value!  You might want to check it out next time you want to redeem.

45k MR points can get you to hawaii :smileyvery-happy:

 

Here is the chart:  http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,104
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: AMEX Travel


webhopper wrote:

Alcibiades wrote:

Sometimes using "Pay With Points" is actually a good value. For example I used 37.7K points recently to purchase a EWR-SFO flight on United (the cash cost of the flight was $377). I usually fly Delta, and Delta was asking for 50,000 Skymiles for a JFK-SFO flight. For the most part, a transcontinental flight will run you at least 40,000 miles in coach (if you want to fly nonstop) regardless of the alliance or carrier. While I could have just paid cash, for this particular flight I didn't want to use cash, so I used points... On a "point per mile flown" basis (37.7K points for over 5,000 miles RT), this is a pretty good redemption.

 

However, usually, you get better value transfering to various partners.


If you had transferred those points to Aeroplan, you could have booked the flight on United through Aeroplan for 25k MR points round trip. That's why transferring represents such a great value!  You might want to check it out next time you want to redeem.

45k MR points can get you to hawaii :smileyvery-happy:

 

Here is the chart:  http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do


I got it and just got a new link oh yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13


Established Contributor
zeusta20
Posts: 586
Registered: ‎02-22-2011
0

Re: AMEX Travel

[ Edited ]

webhopper wrote:

Alcibiades wrote:

Sometimes using "Pay With Points" is actually a good value. For example I used 37.7K points recently to purchase a EWR-SFO flight on United (the cash cost of the flight was $377). I usually fly Delta, and Delta was asking for 50,000 Skymiles for a JFK-SFO flight. For the most part, a transcontinental flight will run you at least 40,000 miles in coach (if you want to fly nonstop) regardless of the alliance or carrier. While I could have just paid cash, for this particular flight I didn't want to use cash, so I used points... On a "point per mile flown" basis (37.7K points for over 5,000 miles RT), this is a pretty good redemption.

 

However, usually, you get better value transfering to various partners.


If you had transferred those points to Aeroplan, you could have booked the flight on United through Aeroplan for 25k MR points round trip. That's why transferring represents such a great value!  You might want to check it out next time you want to redeem.

45k MR points can get you to hawaii :smileyvery-happy:

 

Here is the chart:  http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do


WOW! I like this!

 

Can Ultimate Rewards with CHASE transfer to Aeroplan too???

 

 

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+