Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: What's the big deal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX: What's the big deal?

I love my AMEX cards. Customer Service is great and I have Chase, Citi, had BOA (they are HORRIBLE) that World Points Card was a totally joke! 

They are generous with CLs and I am maxed after my FR and happy as a claim.  $25K is enough for me on my credit cards and the Gold is all I need.  I don't use AAA for towing when I have a Gold AMEX!  They do all the work for me.  Membership has it's privileges Smiley Happy

Besides if AMEX was not that great, other credit card companies would not be coming after them in commericals!  Making fun of the Gold card.

Message 31 of 38
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@pakman92 wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

I don't know about the prestige and all that.  I certainly don't like the annual fee of my Gold card.  However, it was the very first card I ever had (sophomore year in college) and I certainly can't get rid of it now.  It stretches out my credit history...  And my DW's too since she is an authorized user.

I'm planning on removing the rewards portion of my card (has a fee) since I have Chase Freedom and Costco Amex which I plan to use for cash rewards moving forward.

What are you paying AMEX total per year for the 2 cards and MR program? Is it more than $150?

$160 total = 85 for my membership, 35 for wife's additional user fee, 40 for rewards program.

If you PC to Rewards Plus Gold, AF=$150, includes extra card and MR. Although the product is no longer marketed, you can PC to it. You will also get 2X pts for air and hotels. $10 cheaper, better rewards.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JABacchetta wrote:

Why do so many people want an AMEX card? Are they really anything other than status symbols? I keep reading all these reviews about how AMEX cards can't be beat.

Mediocre rewards (aside from the Blue Cash cards), high annual fees, and limited acceptance among businesses. Also hear that Visa Signature has the better concierge service. Am I missing something?

A friend of mine visited Hawaii in December of last year and rented a vehicle with the American Express card. Had a car accident. As he only carries liability on his car at home, he filed a claim with AMEX and they were his primary auto insurer and paid all of his costs and he had no deductbile. In my opinion, can't beat this rental insurance and the extended warranty offered by American Express.

Message 33 of 38
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

There has been some heavy duty in-depth reviews of all Amex cards. Some are status symbols like the Centurion, but alot of them have real value. The Amex Platinum has a high annual fee yet the travel rewards are worth more than the fee. Same goes with many Amex cards. The Starwood, and Delta cards are considered some of the best available. So Im not so sure what the OP means. Amex earned their place as one of top credit card companies for a reason.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing great here with AMEX.

I got it strictly to see if I could because they were the snobbiest when my credit improved.

Nothing but status symbol for me personally.

Doesnt mean its not a great card or company.

Message 35 of 38
FrugalRican
Blogger

Backdating.

The BCE card is purdy.

It has the word "American" in it, so you know it's quality.

It has the word "Express" which implies I'm going somewhere.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 36 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing great here with AMEX.

I got it strictly to see if I could because they were the snobbiest when my credit improved.

Just curious, what dou mean "were the snobbiest?"  Do you mean, the merits or scores required, or their manner of interaction with you?

Thanks!

Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is excellent if you are a high spender. The rewards on the PRG can't be beat, especially if you spend more than 30k a year and the bonus points makes up the annual fee. The platinum doesnt have as good of rewards but loaded with perks.

However I spend probably about 800 a month on my credit cards so I don't spend enough to be able to justify having an AMEX. I can get much better rewards through Discover cashback or my United explorer card than I can through membership rewards. The only AMEX that would be beneficial to me is the BCE/BCP.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.