Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: What we don't do...

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

AMEX: What we don't do...

So I did a product change from Delta Skymiles to Blue and inserted in my welcome materials with my Blue was their "Get Off to the Right Start" brochure with the card agreement enclosed.  On one of the flaps of the brochure, it has a heading that says, "What We Don't Do."  Here is what it lists.
  • We do not charge a fee to pay your bill.
  • We do not charge a fee if you go over your credit limit during a billing period and are below your limit at the end of the billing period.
  • We do not engage in double-cycle billing.
  • We do not practice universal default or change your APR solely because you pay late with any other creditor.

The last bullet point is what stuck.  After reading all of the things that have been said on this board and not experiencing any of them, has AMEX finally fallen in line with Chase, Citi, and Capital One in not being so hard on its customers?  Interesting.  What do you guys think?

Of course, I have no plans to test AMEX, as that might backfire on me in more ways than one.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX: What we don't do...

heirophant wrote:
So I did a product change from Delta Skymiles to Blue and inserted in my welcome materials with my Blue was their "Get Off to the Right Start" brochure with the card agreement enclosed.  On one of the flaps of the brochure, it has a heading that says, "What We Don't Do."  Here is what it lists.
  • We do not charge a fee if you go over your credit limit during a billing period and are below your limit at the end of the billing period.
  • We do not practice universal default or change your APR solely because you pay late with any other creditor.

The last bullet point is what stuck.  After reading all of the things that have been said on this board and not experiencing any of them, has AMEX finally fallen in line with Chase, Citi, and Capital One in not being so hard on its customers?  Interesting.  What do you guys think?

Of course, I have no plans to test AMEX, as that might backfire on me in more ways than one.

Me thinks they fib.
Message 2 of 8
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@heirophant wrote:
So I did a product change from Delta Skymiles to Blue and inserted in my welcome materials with my Blue was their "Get Off to the Right Start" brochure with the card agreement enclosed. On one of the flaps of the brochure, it has a heading that says, "What We Don't Do." Here is what it lists.

The last bullet point is what stuck. After reading all of the things that have been said on this board and not experiencing any of them, has AMEX finally fallen in line with Chase, Citi, and Capital One in not being so hard on its customers? Interesting. What do you guys think?

I was laughing out loud on the final point. Heck no, they're not getting softer. If anything, they seem to be ramping up the CLDs, etc... Did you see their conference call speech after earnings, recently? I would like to see them add a section entitled: "What We WILL Do" if you have high utilization, carry a balance with us on any of our eligible cards, etc...

Wow...this thread is gonna be interesting, I'm sure. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sniggered at the 'we don't do universal default, not us!' thing when I got my Blue back in May... and it sounds as though they've got WORSE since then, not better.

Then again, AmEx is just... confused. They've been pestering me to do a BT to them, and the most recent communication on the subject was a seriously spammy email (but not spam in the 'random' sense given that it was targeted specifically to me and my SkyMiles card), giving me the hard sell on BTs and including a link to 'tell them what I think' of the offer. (Seriously, something like 'click here to tell us what you think!') - ummmm, AmEx, you realllly don't want to know what I think of your BT offer, generous though it may have been on 'paper'.

Is anyone else being bombarded with stupid AmEx mail/emails lately, all trying to convince them to do stuff that we all know AmEx HATES?!?
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't know that they hate BT's. Check out Timothy's post about this on "Credit in the News."

IMO, AmEx freaks when you do anything odd at all, whatsoever, on another's bank's cards, including carrying high-ish balances. Maybe it's a control issue. They sorta know what you're up to on their own cards, but they're frantically worried about why you suddenly have a $5K balance on Citi that didn't used to be there. They don't know that it's a 0% APR fridge and stove, or whatever.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sniggered at the 'we don't do universal default, not us!' thing when I got my Blue back in May... and it sounds as though they've got WORSE since then, not better.

Then again, AmEx is just... confused. They've been pestering me to do a BT to them, and the most recent communication on the subject was a seriously spammy email (but not spam in the 'random' sense given that it was targeted specifically to me and my SkyMiles card), giving me the hard sell on BTs and including a link to 'tell them what I think' of the offer. (Seriously, something like 'click here to tell us what you think!') - ummmm, AmEx, you realllly don't want to know what I think of your BT offer, generous though it may have been on 'paper'.

Is anyone else being bombarded with stupid AmEx mail/emails lately, all trying to convince them to do stuff that we all know AmEx HATES?!?

-----------------------------

The only emails I get is to remind me I still have points and to go check out the rewards section on the site. O yeah and the 1's that tryna get me to shop at those online stores. Never got a bt offer from Amex

Message Edited by l9ikjam on 08-31-2008 02:45 AM
Message 6 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

The said solely.  That's CCC speak for I also dont think you are ready for a serious relationship with our card. 
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Amex gave me a CLD, I have been working on getting my utilization down and not using my cards as much. What took the sting out of my CLD is that they still let me convert my Blue card to the Clear card.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.