Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX ... When to Apply

tag
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

AMEX ... When to Apply

I will be applying for one more CC to complete my current mix, and I know that I will be applying for an AMEX credit card, most likely the BCE.  Really excited it will backdate to 2003.

My question is when to apply.  I was approved for an NFCU CC with a $12.5k CL that has not yet reported to the CRAs (by far my highest CL).  Should I wait until the NFCU CC is reporting and showing that nice CL or should I apply for the AMEX before that new account hits the reports?

Thanks guys!

**EDITED**

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX ... When to Apply

I would wait until NFCU starts reporting. BTW...I thought BCE was a credit (not charge) card...

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 8
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

You are correct ... not sure what I was thinking.   CREDIT not charge.

Message 3 of 8
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

I'm LONGING for a BCE but afraid of rejection. LOL! Good luck whichever way you go.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Unless your current revolving utilization is way out of whack, if you think you're qualified now, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

NFCU is unlikely to have pulled EX, so as of right now there's no record of it... though admittedly Amex will at times pull an additional bureau for their credit cards in the case of marginal approvals seemingly.  The only real reason to have high CL's reporting is for establishing further high CL's; however,  Amex is absolutely known to be good about CLI's, and as such obtaining a high initial CL isn't a big deal... they'll increase later.  

On the other hand, if you wait till the NFCU account reports, it might be a positive from an underwriting perspective (and that is absolutely not guarunteed, they may think you have too much credit compared to your income whatever that happens to be) but it will almost certainly be a negative on your FICO score.  

        
Message 5 of 8
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Unless your current revolving utilization is way out of whack, if you think you're qualified now, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

NFCU is unlikely to have pulled EX, so as of right now there's no record of it... though admittedly Amex will at times pull an additional bureau for their credit cards in the case of marginal approvals seemingly.  The only real reason to have high CL's reporting is for establishing further high CL's; however,  Amex is absolutely known to be good about CLI's, and as such obtaining a high initial CL isn't a big deal... they'll increase later.  

On the other hand, if you wait till the NFCU account reports, it might be a positive from an underwriting perspective (and that is absolutely not guarunteed, they may think you have too much credit compared to your income whatever that happens to be) but it will almost certainly be a negative on your FICO score.  

+1 ( my first +1 ever, because I rarely agree with everything someone says)

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 8
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

With my current credit profile, when the NFCU CL reports it will reduce my util from 68% to 12%.
Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Whereis750 wrote:
With my current credit profile, when the NFCU CL reports it will reduce my util from 68% to 12%.

That'll probably offset the new tradeline penalty.  Yeah I guess I'd let it report Smiley Wink.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.