cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??

Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??

I just spoke with a seemingly knowledgable CSR at AMEX, and she stated that in "6 months with an excellent history with the card it'll be lifted and you can spend more than enough" She said this is a program they started for college students and people new to credit because they usually get into trouble within the first 6 mths.. So NO MORE APPS, AND KEEPING THOSE BALANCES LOW FOR ME AND WE'll see

Starting Score: EX: 500 FAKO -TU: 497- EQ: 529 12/9/2010
Current Score:
EX: 560 TU: 550-EQ: 569 5/14/15
Goal Score:
700 across the board


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 30
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


mrmagic9799 wrote:
I just spoke with a seemingly knowledgable CSR at AMEX, and she stated that in "6 months with an excellent history with the card it'll be lifted and you can spend more than enough" She said this is a program they started for college students and people new to credit because they usually get into trouble within the first 6 mths.. So NO MORE APPS, AND KEEPING THOSE BALANCES LOW FOR ME AND WE'll see

I have had this card with the 500/Autopay option for 14 months now and the limit still has not been removed or increased. Now I don't have excellent credit, but you would think after 1 yr they would remove it or at least increase it. I run anywhere between $500-$800 on a monthly basis and always multiple times per month.

Message 12 of 30
Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


mrmagic9799 wrote:
I just spoke with a seemingly knowledgable CSR at AMEX, and she stated that in "6 months with an excellent history with the card it'll be lifted and you can spend more than enough" She said this is a program they started for college students and people new to credit because they usually get into trouble within the first 6 mths.. So NO MORE APPS, AND KEEPING THOSE BALANCES LOW FOR ME AND WE'll see

Did they ever lift your PSL?

Message 13 of 30
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??

I think initially they might have done that to some people, but for the most part you don't hear about anyone getting it lifted anymore. 

Message 14 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


jsucool76 wrote:

I think initially they might have done that to some people, but for the most part you don't hear about anyone getting it lifted anymore. 


It virtually never happens. The Zync with a toy hard limit is basically a subprime product offered by a prime lender. Use it well as a springboard to something else, but don't expect it to grow with you or you'll be sorely disappointed.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 30
Moderator

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


CreditScholar wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

I think initially they might have done that to some people, but for the most part you don't hear about anyone getting it lifted anymore. 


It virtually never happens. The Zync with a toy hard limit is basically a subprime product offered by a prime lender. Use it well as a springboard to something else, but don't expect it to grow with you or you'll be sorely disappointed.

In fairness, the Zync and even the rest of the charge card products are sorta sub-prime especially if you go off the actual FICO definition of prime vs. subprime.

 

In any event, the vast majority of this forum uses Amex charge cards as a foot in the door, and the Zync works just fine for that.  Regardless of whether you consider it prime or not, an Amex relationship is still absolutely worthy to have for one's future FICO plans... which likely everyone on this forum has some sort of goal on.

 

Edit: in thinking about it more, it doesn't surprise me that the Zync limit wouldn't be removed: I don't think Amex considers the Zync as one of their goal cards, namely they're hoping you'll move onto bigger and better things in the future.

 

Personally I'd be just fine with a $500 limit on mine, though I'm starting to think I have a reasonable shot at NPSL as well.... but for me it's all backdating and the eventual Amex revolver at some point in the future.

 

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 30
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??

This may have been asked already, so sorry if it has but...

 

 

If you get the hard limit, does your balance on the card start affecting your utilization, or no? 

Message 17 of 30
Moderator

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


jsucool76 wrote:

This may have been asked already, so sorry if it has but...

 

 

If you get the hard limit, does your balance on the card start affecting your utilization, or no? 


Nope, it's the same as any other charge card... the term is still one month and that's what gets the charge cards excluded under FICO '04 and FICO '08; however, your high balance isn't going to be particularly significant, and if you do get stuck with a '98 FICO pull, it could be worse as a result of the limited high balance.

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??


Revelate wrote:

CreditScholar wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

I think initially they might have done that to some people, but for the most part you don't hear about anyone getting it lifted anymore. 


It virtually never happens. The Zync with a toy hard limit is basically a subprime product offered by a prime lender. Use it well as a springboard to something else, but don't expect it to grow with you or you'll be sorely disappointed.

In fairness, the Zync and even the rest of the charge card products are sorta sub-prime especially if you go off the actual FICO definition of prime vs. subprime.

 

In any event, the vast majority of this forum uses Amex charge cards as a foot in the door, and the Zync works just fine for that.  Regardless of whether you consider it prime or not, an Amex relationship is still absolutely worthy to have for one's future FICO plans... which likely everyone on this forum has some sort of goal on.

 

Edit: in thinking about it more, it doesn't surprise me that the Zync limit wouldn't be removed: I don't think Amex considers the Zync as one of their goal cards, namely they're hoping you'll move onto bigger and better things in the future.

 

Personally I'd be just fine with a $500 limit on mine, though I'm starting to think I have a reasonable shot at NPSL as well.... but for me it's all backdating and the eventual Amex revolver at some point in the future.

 


Regardless of whether it is a charge card or not, it still has subprime-like terms. If you didn't know it was an Amex and only heard the terms: a $200-500 limit credit card, plus an annual fee and a subpar rewards program that offers ~1% sounds like a subprime card. I agree that the benefits are primarily to build a relationship with Amex, but it's an anomaly when compared to many of their other (better) products. I think people get overly excited about getting one when the card itself is frankly pretty lousy.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 30
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync - Anyone have Auto Pay and PSL Removed ??

Congrats on your approval be the way

Message 20 of 30