Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync PC Options

I just PC my Amex gold to PRG, i did it online, i will not be getting the 25k promo because its a PC, thats only valid with a new separate app.
Im still happy tough, i use my card a lot on gas and i certainly plan on running 30k+, so that will bonus me an extra 15k miles next year, effectively making up for the AF :smileyhappy:
3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Frequent Contributor

i haven't heard anything about the rewards being removed ,but they did disc the packs and issued refunds for any packs you had, i had the connect and saw the refund earlier this week.  i am in no hurry to PC either since all the other charge cards AF start @95. Overall i been disappointed by AMX because they did away w/ the MR mall now its just point per dollar. i will wait till im forced to change or hike up the AF on zync but its def. going to see alot less use  now. i am only keeping it with the hopes of PC to BCE and get backdating next year sometime after all but 1 of my negs will be gone

Amx BCE-12000,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-5600
Credit Union Visa-1200
Discover-4900, Khols-1000
Regular Contributor

Are they discontinuing the Zync entirely? I noticed it is not even offered on the website anymore.

Contributor

I attempted to close my Zync today, but was given a retention offer of $20 or 3,000 MR points. I took the MR points. The MR points are worth at least $0.01 per point, so I gain $5 above the annual fee. Plus, the CSR maintains that Zync spending will still get 1 MR point per dollar. I think I will just keep my recurring expenses (cable, cell phone, newspapers, etc) on my Zync card and sockdrawer it. I will bring it out during Small Business Saturday to get the credits offered there. No plans on trying to do a PC given I have a Platinum already and I don't want to pay a fee for the PRG this year. 

Mega Contributor

Scene wrote:

Are they discontinuing the Zync entirely? I noticed it is not even offered on the website anymore.

AFAIK you can't apply for it but I think they are slowly phasing it out....possibly by end of the year/beggining of '14 making cardholders PC.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Senior Contributor

Alcibiades wrote:smileytongue:lus, the CSR maintains that Zync spending will still get 1 MR point per dollar. 

So long as it keeps earning MR points, I'd keep the Zync and not upgrade until I've accrued enough MRE points where I can book a nice flight through the MR program.  

In the future, the way to go is Senior Member Green for $35 + Blue.

New Contributor

I saw this on twitter:

:smileymad:

Regular Contributor

Different people have gotten different responses from the AskAmex twitter account.  It varies just as much as the telephone CSR answers.

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor

lazylane wrote:

I saw this on twitter:

:smileymad:

:smileyvery-happy:

I would just say call in at the beginning of the month. These people cant seem to get a solid date set.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor

Can normal membership points be used for everyday charges like the MR Express points?

My wife is using the Unicorn card for reimburseable gas expenses right now.  I am running the numbers on whether or not I should PC to something else.

I really like having a charge card that doesn't impact utilization.  We make enough that a few dollars in rewards is not a big windfall for us, but at the same time I don't want to be in the red on the annual fee.  Also, the NPSL is nice in case we have a month where there are significant travel expenses.  She spends a minimum of 500 per month on gas.  With the Zync, 6k a year in spending equates to less than 40 bucks in cashback.  More than enough to cover the 25 dollar AF, but not much else.  There are a few card benefits, plus the wow factor of flashing a unicorn.  

If I spring for the PRG, she gets double points on gas for 12,000 minimum points per year.  That's 120 bucks towards the 195 dollar fee, meaning I have to come up with 7,500 or 625 a month more in single point spending just to break even, or increase gas spending to 812.  Probably not worth it.

The Gold Card is only 125, but I lose the double points on gas.  So I end up with 60 bucks towards the fee, less than half of it.  I have to spend a grand a month to break even.

The Green Card is 95, so I have to spend 800 a month to break even.

If I have analyzed this correctly, I should keep the Unicorn until the gas spending on the card hits 800.  At that point, the return on the green and PRG are close enough.

Am I missing anything important?

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 814 - EQU:813 - TRAN: 809 - AVG: 812 +262 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.