Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Zync PC thread...

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync PC thread...Reason for Senior Green

@YahComb wrote:

did you get word from AMEX that the "senior" charge cards, which are not automatically enrolled in membership rewards, can be combined with MRE cards to upgrade the points without paying the extra 40 dollars to enroll the "senior" card into membership rewards. If it works the way you are describing, thats great for whoever would use it, but i question if the points are actually upgradeable with the $35 non-membership rewards enrolled cards.

Yes, my understanding corresponding via email is that the Senior Green will not earn any membership rewards points, but will have no effect on the points earned by other cards.

I am assuming the "not enrolled" means the Senior Green does not earn membership rewards points for spendng; but, the Green card itself will confer MR status to existing MR points and the points earned from Blue and/or Blue for Business.

I'll test this out (with a colleague) and will have a definitive answer in a month or two.

PS - Just checked and Senior Green ($35 version) is listed under Membership Rewards program with all other cards.  Since the card earns no points, but is listed under the "your cards" in Membership rewards with every other card (Blue for Business, Platinum, etc...), it assuredly does confer MR status to existing and points earned from lesser cards, just as the Platinum confers MR First (which is why there is no Senior Platinum).

Message 31 of 43
in0wh3r3ul1v3
New Contributor

Re: AMEX Zync PC thread...

afbar, you were able to PC to a Senior Gold? (Forgive me, I don't know how to quote on this forum)

The CSR I spoke with laughed at me when I asked for the Senior Gold card, and said it was only for seniors.

Macy's Red Star - $5100 (1/2010)
AMEX Everyday - $9000 (1/2011 Backdated)
AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL
Chase Amazon Prime - $8900 (11/2011)
Lowe's/SYNCB - $6500 (7/2014)
J. Crew/CB - $3500 (2/2015)
Target REDcard - $500 (11/2015)
Citi AAdvantage - $4000 (6/2016)
Chase United MileagePlus - $5000 (2/2017)
Message 32 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@in0wh3r3ul1v3 wrote:

The CSR I spoke with laughed at me when I asked for the Senior Gold card, and said it was only for seniors.

Absolutely not true.

Message 33 of 43
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Keeping my Zync, since I'm killing the PRG once AF is due in Jan.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 34 of 43
creditcardz
Established Member

@Open123 wrote:

@YahComb wrote:

did you get word from AMEX that the "senior" charge cards, which are not automatically enrolled in membership rewards, can be combined with MRE cards to upgrade the points without paying the extra 40 dollars to enroll the "senior" card into membership rewards. If it works the way you are describing, thats great for whoever would use it, but i question if the points are actually upgradeable with the $35 non-membership rewards enrolled cards.

Yes, my understanding corresponding via email is that the Senior Green will not earn any membership rewards points, but will have no effect on the points earned by other cards.

I am assuming the "not enrolled" means the Senior Green does not earn membership rewards points for spendng; but, the Green card itself will confer MR status to existing MR points and the points earned from Blue and/or Blue for Business.

I'll test this out (with a colleague) and will have a definitive answer in a month or two.

PS - Just checked and Senior Green ($35 version) is listed under Membership Rewards program with all other cards.  Since the card earns no points, but is listed under the "your cards" in Membership rewards with every other card (Blue for Business, Platinum, etc...), it assuredly does confer MR status to existing and points earned from lesser cards, just as the Platinum confers MR First (which is why there is no Senior Platinum).

I'm not sure what part of the website you are on, but I don't think that confirms the non-MR enrolled Senior Green (which is what I think we are talking about here) will grant full MR status to existing points. That could be referring to the Senior Green with the optional $40 enrollment in Membership Rewards added.

I don't think the Senior Green would grant MR status to existing points unless you enrolled in Membership Rewards.

Message 35 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Keeping my Zync, since I'm killing the PRG once AF is due in Jan.

Unless one meets the $30K, I think the PRG's fee is kind of hefty. 

The problem with the Amex charge cards is that they don't have anything that is equal to, let alone compare favorably to Chase's CSP.  For the same $95 fee, the CSP offers no forex, 2X dining and travel, 7% bonus and it's metal. 

The same $95 on the Amex Green has no bonus spending, can't be redeemed for 1 cpp cash and charges 2.7% forex fee.

Message 36 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@creditcardz wrote:

I'm not sure what part of the website you are on, but I don't think that confirms the non-MR enrolled Senior Green (which is what I think we are talking about here) will grant full MR status to existing points. That could be referring to the Senior Green with the optional $40 enrollment in Membership Rewards added.

I don't think the Senior Green would grant MR status to existing points unless you enrolled in Membership Rewards.

We'll know definitively in 30 days when I test it out.

PS - It's under my MR First rewards program section under "enrolled cards."  I see the Senior Green along with all of my other MR cards.  I never paid the $40 fee to enroll the card in the program, unless they're charging me automatically to enroll it.  Again, my understanding is the Green card confers no bonus for spending, but all our existing points have full MR status, which is consistent with Amex practice.

Message 37 of 43
YahComb
Established Contributor

They way i read the chart, it shows a column for if the card is automatically part of the membership rewards program-for the AMEX Green, it says yes, for the AMEX Senior Green, it says No...but for another $40 it can be enrolled. So my assumption is for the 35 dollar card, it is not going to upgrade points-it is not part of the program-so there is nothing for the MRE cards to link to for better point redemption.

But i guess you will find out one way or the other-i'd rather your assumptions be right than mine.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 38 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

They way i read the chart, it shows a column for if the card is automatically part of the membership rewards program-for the AMEX Green, it says yes, for the AMEX Senior Green, it says No...but for another $40 it can be enrolled. So my assumption is for the 35 dollar card, it is not going to upgrade points-it is not part of the program-so there is nothing for the MRE cards to link to for better point redemption.

But i guess you will find out one way or the other-i'd rather your assumptions be right than mine.

I had requested the basic $35 Senior Card (downgraded from an old Personal Plat), and assumed they wouldn't automatically enroll it with the $40 charge.  I received the disclosure with the $35 fee, but no mention about the $40; however, I do recall Amex telling me the $40 is added a la carte.

So, either my card is enrolled by default (therefore, no need to enroll, but just won't get the spend bonus), since it had always been enrolled as an original Plat card; or, they just automatically charged me the $40 to enroll, assuming it's what I would have wanted.

We'll find out which when my statement closes next week and the fees post.  As of right now, this Senior card is enrolled in my MR program.

Message 39 of 43
cjcharv

@Open123 wrote:

@YahComb wrote:

I had requested the basic $35 Senior Card (downgraded from an old Personal Plat), and assumed they wouldn't automatically enroll it with the $40 charge.  I received the disclosure with the $35 fee, but no mention about the $40; however, I do recall Amex telling me the $40 is added a la carte.

So, either my card is enrolled by default (therefore, no need to enroll, but just won't get the spend bonus), since it had always been enrolled as an original Plat card; or, they just automatically charged me the $40 to enroll, assuming it's what I would have wanted.

We'll find out which when my statement closes next week and the fees post.  As of right now, this Senior card is enrolled in my MR program.

Let us know how that works out since I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.