Dogface

AMEX account closed - Recon denied

I wanted to say thanks to the forum for advice.  I filed Chapter 13 in 2005.  AMEX was part of that settlement.  I applied for the BCE and was denied.  I tried to recon and was denied again. 

I know my credit has gotten much better because in the last 30 days I recently applied for the Discover IT card and was approved $3K, Cit Diamond $3K, USAA Rewards Visa $4k, PenFed Visa $20K, Chase Sapphire $5K.  I had to recon on the Chase Sapphire because they were part of the BK settlement as well, Fortunately for me I had maintained a WAMU visa (Chase later purchased them) throughout the ordeal with a $5k limit, and a checking account with Chase so I think that might have made a big differnce.  So now i am off to the garden for a while to watch my credit grow.   

Does it matter if I try to apply for the AMEX charge card versus the credit card? 

I asked the agent am I blacklisted with them for life, and I got she responded that it depends, but she couldn't approve me at this point due to them cancelling my account. 

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: AMEX account closed - Recon denied

AFAIK if you burn AMEX you have to repay your debt before theyll let you back into their good graces.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Member
Jamisonke

I had a BkCh7 in 2002 which just fell off the reports last November. AMEX was part of the Bk and I tried apping for AMEX a couple of years ago - denied. They finally approved me for the Costco TE revolver after the Bk fell off my reports. I received the card, attempted to use it and it was declined. I called and was told the old charged off debt was linked to my new account and the underwriters needed to review the situation prior to a decision on whether or not I could, in fact, have an account (even though it had been approved). The process took about a week before they contacted me saying the old debt had been successfully unlinked from my account and I could use the card. They also backdated to 2000.

I now have AMEX Costco TE, AMEX BSP, AMEX Mercedes CC and AMEX PRG. FICO scores are around 720.

When I attempted a 61 day CLI on the AMEX Costco TE, it was denied. Apparently, the old charge off has me in a high risk category according to their internal data.

My understanding is that my experience getting back in with AMEX is unusual and YMMV.
Valued Contributor
boomhower

Yep, you have to pay them back before they will give you another card.  Amex gives second chances but they have to be paid first. 

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Amex is not what's known as BK friendly around these forums.

Best advice would be to focus on Chase, since you already have a good relationship from which to build.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
LS2982

webhopper wrote:

Amex is not what's known as BK friendly around these forums.

Best advice would be to focus on Chase, since you already have a good relationship from which to build.

If the OP pays back the debt they'll have a better chance of approval.

But I agree I would stick with Chase for the time being because you have a relationship with them.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Member
Jamisonke

Just one note: I have not paid back the old charge off included in my Bk. If they asked me to do so, I'd tell them to go fly a kite. I have plenty of love from other lenders (Chase, Discover, Citi, Wells Fargo).
Mega Contributor
LS2982

Jamisonke wrote:
Just one note: I have not paid back the old charge off included in my Bk. If they asked me to do so, I'd tell them to go fly a kite. I have plenty of love from other lenders (Chase, Discover, Citi, Wells Fargo).

I think your in that YMMV slipped through the cracks category. Hopefully they wont bring it up.

Starting Score:
Valued Member
Jamisonke

That could be so. It also could be that they reevaluated me based upon significant income and the credit profile I have established. Honestly, though, who knows?
Mega Contributor
LS2982

Jamisonke wrote:
That could be so. It also could be that they reevaluated me based upon significant income and the credit profile I have established. Honestly, though, who knows?

This is true too. AMEX is a different kind of beast they go all over the place with approvals, denials, FR's. You have to thick skinned to deal with them sometimes.

Starting Score:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+