Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX after BK- what are my chances?

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

AMEX after BK- what are my chances?

Hi All, I am hoping to qualify soon for an AMEX BCE. What do you think my chances are?

I had a BK in 08, nothing from AMEX included. I've had two corporate AMEX cards through work since 09, but that is the only relationship I've had with them.

I have 2 inq on EXP, 5 on TU and 4 on EQ this year. I was considering hanginging out in the garden til Jan and then applying.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX after BK- what are my chances?

What is soon? A few people have gotten Amex about a 1-2 years before BKs fall off.

I'd say its a bit dicey for the foreseeable future for any Amex product.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Historically, Amex hasn't been too BK friendly.  Applying for an Amex with a BK reporting is "hit or miss," at best.

Message 3 of 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I'd say don't even try before 8 years...

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

Historically, Amex hasn't been too BK friendly.  Applying for an Amex with a BK reporting is "hit or miss," at best.

+1

The majority of times individuals will not be approved (even if using the EO channel) if there is a presence of BK on your CRs.

Message 5 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Not worth the HP for the attempt IMHO

Not friendly at all 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 12
911GT3
Established Member

@Justrebuilding wrote:
Hi All, I am hoping to qualify soon for an AMEX BCE. What do you think my chances are?

I had a BK in 08, nothing from AMEX included. I've had two corporate AMEX cards through work since 09, but that is the only relationship I've had with them.

I have 2 inq on EXP, 5 on TU and 4 on EQ this year. I was considering hanginging out in the garden til Jan and then applying.

7 and a 1/2 years and still no go with Amex...just as of last month. Same story on denial and recon.....they tell you you have past bk blah blah blah......Citi, Chase (recon) Approved just fine.

Message 8 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Sad to say but like the others have posted, American Express is very risk adverse.

Even an unpaid collections or charge off is very likely to result in a denial.

Best bet is to wait till it falls off completely. In the meantime there's plenty of other options to check out.

Best of luck!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 12
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I am 9 years out from a Chapter 7 and the answer is still no but they were included in BK

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.