Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX & CITI Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX & CITI Denial

Hello all,

I currently have four credit cards with a combined limit of $4500 and am at 6% utilization. I've never been late or over my limit. I recently, as in yesterday, applied for a Blue Amex and a Citi Platinum Select card. I was denied on both accounts. I checked my FICO score about two months ago and it was 700. Does anyone have any idea what might have led to the denial? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX & CITI Denial

the denial letters should list the reaons.

Message 2 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I currently have four credit cards with a combined limit of $4500 and am at 6% utilization. I've never been late or over my limit. I recently, as in yesterday, applied for a Blue Amex and a Citi Platinum Select card. I was denied on both accounts. I checked my FICO score about two months ago and it was 700. Does anyone have any idea what might have led to the denial? 

Thanks

We would need more info.  It could be AAoA, or # of recent inquiries.  Any baddies?

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got an email from Amex that said "legal issues." I had a tax lein that was resolved in 2009. Other than that I don't know what it could be. I was approved for a Barclay's card through apple in June that I paid off last month, and had my BOA secured card go to unsecured status and the credit limit increased by five fold. I'm disappointed.
Message 4 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got an email from Amex that said "legal issues." I had a tax lein that was resolved in 2009. Other than that I don't know what it could be. I was approved for a Barclay's card through apple in June that I paid off last month, and had my BOA secured card go to unsecured status and the credit limit increased by five fold. I'm disappointed.

That would probably explain it.  With the tax lien, you will probably have to show at least a couple more years of near perfect behavior to go for the cards you mentioned you had applied for in your OP.  They are some of the more difficult ones to get approved for.

{Edited to add link to "Best Credit Card" list.}

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. Any idea what cards I might qualify for that give travel miles?
Message 6 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the info. Any idea what cards I might qualify for that give travel miles?

Here's a site that lists the best airline miles cards for your credit score.

And here's a site you can look on and see what credit scores people have that get approved (or denied) for different accounts.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
winstars
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you have an IRS tax lien or one from your state???

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A state I used to live in.
Message 9 of 10
winstars
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
A state I used to live in.

Was it totally legit, meaning no chance of getting it removed??? They are very difficult to get off but not impossible sometimes if you can show some extraordinary  issue...

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.