Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX & Chase Application Questions

tag
kblatt
New Contributor

AMEX & Chase Application Questions

I applied for an AMEX BCE and Chase SP cards two days ago, and got alerts on all three CRAs that I received HIs from AMEX on all three... TU, EX and EQ CRs, and HIs from Chase on my TU and EX CRs. 

When I spoke to them on the phone immediately after applying (got the wait message), I was told that they were using information from my TU report from both companies.

Is it business as usual for them to pull 2/3 or 3/3 CBs?  From what I read Amex generally pulls EQ or TU, and Chase pulls TU.  From my previous experience with Chase in April, they only pulled my TU.  Discover recently who recently issued me an 8k TL with a Discover IT card ONLY pulled my EQ.

Is there an issue here that I should attempt to resolve?  I was not expecting an inquiry on every single CR, and unsure why they'd do this as I've never had this happen previously when applying for TLs.  This has really killed my number of inquiries for the year, something I wasn't planning on as I've been VERY conservative in my attempts to rebuild my credit and get into the low to mid 700s for all 3 CRAs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to if this is normal, and if I should take action with AMEX or Chase.

EDIT June 8th: See my last post, things have gotten weird with AMEX.  They deny pulling all 3 of my reports.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX & Chase Application Questions

AMEX is usually EX, only tripple pulls on borderline cases. Might of been best to AP for a  Charge card keep it for 6 months to a year and then AP for revolver and close the Charge card before AF is due. AMEX likes 720 or better for first revolver unless you have high income and thick long file.

Chase will double or tripple on borderline APs, perhaps too high of UTL or too many INQ's is the discover card reporting yet?

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

It is very common for credit card issuers to pull reports from more than 1 CRA's, especially for your first card with the issuer. Chase and Amex do this to most people. Does this make you feel better? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

AMEX is usually EX, only tripple pulls on borderline cases. Might of been best to AP for a  Charge card keep it for 6 months to a year and then AP for revolver and close the Charge card before AF is due. AMEX likes 720 or better for first revolver unless you have high income and thick long file.

Chase will double or tripple on borderline APs, perhaps too high of UTL or too many INQ's is the discover card reporting yet?

Discover card is not reporting yet Smiley Sad

Before this run I only had 2 / 2 / 1 inquiries respectively.  I'm a tad upset that they pulled all three and I burned so many HIs in a single day... something I definitely was not counting on.  

Chase nor Discover did this on my previous approvals, I guess which is why I wasn't expecting it.

Message 4 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

It is very common for credit card issuers to pull reports from more than 1 CRA's, especially for your first card with the issuer. Chase and Amex do this to most people. Does this make you feel better? Smiley Happy

A bit!  I'm worried this will affect my chances at a car refinance now, even though my scores are all 700+.

Message 5 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

@kblatt wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

A bit!  I'm worried this will affect my chances at a car refinance now, even though my scores are all 700+.

Keep utilization low and you should be fine. 2 inquiries on each report isn't too bad. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not sure why you thought Amex plus EQ, they primarily pull Ex and like others have said, all 3 if borderline. Unfortunately, they can still deny after pulling all 3. Chase usually pulls EX ( depending on where you live) and lately has been double pulling.

Having 3-4 inq's is not a high number but since you are thinking about refi'ng your car- if you get these cc's your CS will drop some when they start to report. Not sure when you are thinking of refi'ng but it is worth mentioning.
Message 7 of 29
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

IME, Amex pulled all 3 when I first applied with them in November of last year. I have applied twice since then (no luck) and each time they have pulled EX. With Chase, they have pulled EX both times I have applied with them. But for others, I hear they will always pull EX+either TU or EQ depending on where you live and your profile. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 8 of 29
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Another point to add that might ease your pain:

Auto lenders frequently (read: I would be surprised if they didn't) use auto-enhanced scores to make decisions on credit applicants. These scoring models place significant weight on your payment history for auto loans and can differ from a CC-enhanced or other type of FICO considerably. So long as you have good performance on past auto loans, these inquiries likely won't pull you too far down in that process.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 9 of 29
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Hope it makes you feel better. Discover and Chase both did double pull on me with Fico EQ of 793 at time of application. Both pulled EX and EQ.  For the double pull of Discover I got a CL of 2,5K (worst app result for me)  Smiley Frustrated 

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.