kblatt
New Contributor

Re: AMEX & Chase Application Questions

Thanks for the information everyone.

Message 11 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

Wanted to bump this thread with an update, becuase things have definitely gotten weird.

I called AMEX on June 7th and spoke to a CSR, just curious as to why they pulled two additional reports without giving me notice, perhaps thinking if I was borderline I'd be able to talk my way into a card.  To my surprise, the CSR claimed that AMEX never pulled my Equifax or Experian.

I have multiple credit monitoring services (more than I should for sure) and each of them clearly shows a HI by AMEX on the date in question.  After speaking to the CSR for about 15 minutes and asking her what must have been 100 times if she was completely absolutely positive AMEX is claiming they never pulled my additional reports, I went ahead and faxed in my EX and EQ reports showing the inquiries.

The CSR I spoke to before and after I faxed the documentation in claimed that the inquiries will be removed as they were not authorized by AMEX or myself.  They stuck to their story that TU is the only CR they pulled.  They flat out deny pulling my other reports, and say they have no record of it.

I was told to call back in 72 hours and given a reference number to track the case.

I have no idea how they could pull my CRs and not have any record of it, or give me a reason why?  If I had never called back, I would have just assumed this is the way it was.

Message 12 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Keep us posted for sure. It will be a first if Amex is pulling TU only and not EX
Message 13 of 29
JonStur
Established Contributor

Defininately weird..AMEX only pulled Ex for me like they have with most. Chase pulled TU for me in Ohio...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 14 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

AMEX is usually EX, only tripple pulls on borderline cases. Might of been best to AP for a  Charge card keep it for 6 months to a year and then AP for revolver and close the Charge card before AF is due. AMEX likes 720 or better for first revolver unless you have high income and thick long file.

Chase will double or tripple on borderline APs, perhaps too high of UTL or too many INQ's is the discover card reporting yet?

Not sure where OP got the AMEX info from but yes Indeed EX is their bureau of choice and will pull others if your file is borderline.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Wow......

I find It very weird AMEX would even entertain removing INQs when they have permissible purpose to pull all 3 if they need to. You did apply for a revolver right?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Wow......

I find It very weird AMEX would even entertain removing INQs when they have permissible purpose to pull all 3 if they need to. You did apply for a revolver right?

Yes.  

It's not a matter of permission, it's a matter of them claiming they flat out didn't do it.  I was fine with them pulling all three reports after I heard what people said in this thread, but when they straight up told me they didn't (multiple times) that's when I started to press them.  

AMEX still denies pulling the other two reports.  AMEX denied using any credit information from my EQ or EX CR in their decision to provide me credit.    AMEX said that if the other two reports were for some reason pulled, that it was a mistake and they would be removed since my application with them did not include any information from EX or EQ, only TU which is consistent with what the CSR I spoke to when I applied said.  

When I initially spoke to the CSRs, I told them I WISHED AMEX had used EX or EQ, since TU is far and away my worst report of the 3.  This is what lead to them claiming they didn't have my reports on file, when I asked if my EX and EQ reports were more favorable and if they had reconsidered my request for credit (which is why I assumed they pulled the other two). 

None of it makes any sense.  I must have asked the CSRs a total of 10 times if they were 100% certain.  I made sure to write down their names, time I called, and confirmed I was on a recorded line both times.  I'm still confused as to how this could even be possible.

I'll keep this thread updated on the out-come.

Message 17 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

On a lighter note, just apped & approved for a Citi Thank You preferred with a $6.5k limit, they only pulled EQ.

That gives me a Chase MileagePlus ($8k), Discover IT ($8k), and now the Citi ($6.5k) in addition to my existing cards that included a BofA Visa ($4k) and my CapOne cards.  The three high limit cards I received withinin the last 45 days.

Amex's reasons for denial were complete non-sense.  I'm sure if they had actually looked at my EX and EQ reports they claimed they never pulled, I would have been approved.  

Their loss, you can find me in the garden.

Message 18 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@kblatt wrote:

On a lighter note, just apped & approved for a Citi Thank You preferred with a $6.5k limit, they only pulled EQ.

That gives me a Chase MileagePlus ($8k), Discover IT ($8k), and now the Citi ($6.5k) in addition to my existing cards that included a BofA Visa ($4k) and my CapOne cards.  The three high limit cards I received withinin the last 45 days.

Amex's reasons for denial were complete non-sense.  I'm sure if they had actually looked at my EX and EQ reports they claimed they never pulled, I would have been approved.  

Grats on the approvals!

Well Amex can be really strict and particular about certain stuff. I got denied too. Can always try again in the future!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 29
kblatt
New Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@kblatt wrote:

Grats on the approvals!

Well Amex can be really strict and particular about certain stuff. I got denied too. Can always try again in the future!

Thanks!  I see you have a Citi ThankYou Preferred... how do you like it?

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.