Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX and backdating

tag
cd73
Established Member

AMEX and backdating

Just want some feedback on what my situation might do for my credit score.... I had an AMEX green back in college (18 years ago) which I defaulted on. I never paid it and have since gotten a platinum Amex and a sky miles Amex. I decided that it was wrong to still owe them and hold their cards so I paid my 18 year old balance in full. Well, don't ask me why, but my brother convinced me that the zync card was cool enough looking that I should app for it and I did, well my member since date came back with that card...since 92. My plat and sky miles say since 09. I'm assuming I could get the plat and sky miles backdated now. Having a new account dating back to 1992, how do you think that can boost my score? Thanks for the comments.....
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX and backdating

I had the exact situation happen to me, I had the green card back in 1987 , defaulted and was not able to get the Blue card until Jan 2007. One day I looked at my statement and noticed that it said "Member Since 1987?" I never called and asked about that, but I heard that they backdated accounts to when you first became a cardholder. I checked my CR and saw that Amex was opened in Jan 1987 which was actually not the case. There is no negative info on any of my reports. So to answer your question, I got a boost in my history from 16 to 23 years, which is a big part of your scores , I did not have any credit cards between 1987 and 1994. TU 798 EQ 803
Message 2 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Give them a call.   It is their common practive for American Express to backdate all your cards.

Message 3 of 6
g35_ab05
New Contributor

Old thread, but has anyone had any luck with backdating recently? I called today as I had an account in 1996 that was closed in 1999 so I tried to get my 2010 date changed. However, they said they show an old account for me, but it is so old they can't bring it up to verify the open date. Seems bad practice to me, considering there is obvious proof on their end that I had an account. Still trying to look for a credit card statement from back then, but it's going to be a tough find. Maybe I need to call back and see if someone will accept my credit report as proof?

Starting Score: EQ: 651
Current Score: EQ: 664 | TU: 665 - 03/2010
                       EQ: 673 | TU: 681 | EX Plus: 663 - 05/2010
Goal Score: EQ: 710 | TU: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
ASCENDANT
Established Member

I encountered the same situation a week ago. I had an American Express card while in college which I opened in 1997. I defaulted, and the account was closed in 2000. I paid the defaulted balance in May of this year and applied for a Gold Card in June. I was approved and received the new card last week. The member since date said 2010. I called American Express and told them of my first account and asked if my member since date should reflect the fact I had a card many years ago. The CSR looked it up and apologized for sending me a card that said 2010.  He wanted to "please a tenured customer of thirteen years" and was sorry for the oversight.  He even offered to send a new card via next day air with a member since date of 1997. I was absolutely blown away by how courteous he was.  If I were you, I would call back and and try another CSR. Someone will make it happen. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

But will they back date your current account to the older accounts date on your credit report?

I

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.