Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX and sneaky tricks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX and sneaky tricks

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Okey-dokey, might be time to go find something I can use those 16,000 rewards points on. Smiley Tongue
Good plan - believe me, if my Blue Cash rebate money wasn't being held hostage until August, I'd be cashing the lot in right now! I've never been bothered by the fact that you have to wait until the end of the year to get the cash, rather than having it credited monthly. Waiting to get it doesn't bother me, but whether I can trust AmEx to hand it over when the time comes is another matter.  

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even Cap One gives you 30 days after AF appears on statement to cancel card and not pay the fee. Or,better yet, call and have it waived!
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an interesting blog by a fellow who wrote a few letters to the VP of Public Relations complaining about one of AMEX's new policies and a few days later had his card cancelled.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001638.html#more

Message 13 of 24
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Okey-dokey, might be time to go find something I can use those 16,000 rewards points on. Smiley Tongue

Let me know if you find anything cool. I've got about the same and I would rather use them than lose them!

Here we go again...
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cashed all of mine out for dining gift certs. I figure with the budget tightening it'll be the only dinners out we can afford. 

Message 15 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Let me know if you find anything cool. I've got about the same and I would rather use them than lose them!

I'm beginning to think that I'm reduced to various gift cards. The last thing I need is another gadget cluttering up my life, and at least the cards are 100 points for $1. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the redemptions on the Shop Amex thing, that all seem to be 200 points for $1.

They do have one for Ruth's Chris (Chris's Ruth? Ruth's Chris's Ruth's? what is that all about??) Steak House, and that would probably wipe the balance out pretty nicely. Smiley Tongue

lol, they seem unaware that Bonnaroo has set its dates already...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It used to be Chris' steak house, Ruth bought it, didn't want to change the name so she made it Ruth's Chris' Steak House.  Isn't that exciting?
Message 17 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cheezy wrote:
It used to be Chris' steak house, Ruth bought it, didn't want to change the name so she made it Ruth's Chris' Steak House.  Isn't that exciting?

Seriously, thank you! You'll never know how that's been bothering me.

Even if not a word is true, I feel better! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 24
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

You think they would at least make it "Ruth & Chris' Steak House". "Ruth's Chris' " is just plain silly.
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Seriously, thank you! You'll never know how that's been bothering me.

Even if not a word is true, I feel better! Smiley Very Happy

Evidently, Ms. Ruth didn't have a choice:

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans.  In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris."

Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name. 

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.