Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX annual fees

tag
UPSGregg
Established Member

Re: AMEX annual fees

I have come to the conclusion that AFs are usually not worth it. A few of the cheaper AFs arent bad. Some would consider airline rewards worth it but unless you travel allot, and only if you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, HAVE TO HAVE, and insist on having access to an airport lounge then the $450 for AFs, or similar for other "upper tier" cards, just aren't practical for the average middle class (or lower) income earner. As far is simple non-airline rewards go......why pay high fees that basically just cut into what could have been more rewards. You end up having to spend that much more on the card to recover the cost of the AF. At least the Zync is only $25/year but I just see the value. Especially considering their are plenty of other cards with the same value for points as Amex's upper tier cards. So, why pay then? Maybe prestige? But why? It's just a card. Short of getting an amazed look from a cashier or waiter their isn't anything gained from prestige. I will be canceling my Amex Gold PR card before the annual fee kicks in and the Zync. Then I will start using my USAA Amex Rewards and a VISA (that I have yet to obtain) for purchases that I am unable to make with the Amex. I also have an old USAA MasterCard that I keep strictly for the age. I will eventually close it once my others have aged more.

Starting Score: EQ 779
Current Score: EQ 779
Goal Score: EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 43
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I think the best AF cards AmEx has are the Delta ones

$99 companion flight once a year, 1 free checked bags for up to 9 people in your group, and 2 zone boarding on all flights

Well worth the $95/fee

I also got 25k miles when I signed up, which is good for $250 off a ticket. 

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 43
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i was thinking about AF's i was paying fp for a few years and always said i wanted free cards but once i got a zync i thought the af was worth it

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.