cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX apped, Want my bank account number?

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

AMEX apped, Want my bank account number?

I applied online for AMEX Blue Cash Everyday and was emailed a tracking number and phone number to get in contact with them to complete my application. They pulled Experian and evidently it was not FICO Experian because my FICO EX has my current address. The Experian that they pulled does not have my current address which I have lived at for the past 4 years. Anyhow, they said that I needed to give them my bank account number to verify my address. Since I felt uncomfortable giving my bank account number over the phone, they said they will be sending a letter to me with instructions to take to my bank to verify my current address. 

Does this seem to be out of whack or unusual? I have read several times that, it is not wise to give out bank account info over the phone. I called the phone number twice and got the same info each time. I was also leary because I could tell that the people that I talked with were ouyside of the USA. Foreign accent.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX apped, Want my bank account number?

There is no such thing as a FICO Experian report and a non Experian report. The report they saw may have had the address, but I don't know why lenders sometimes ask for verification. I have never had to do it, but on here people have said all they had to do was conference ring their bank and have them verify over the telephone with American Express.

The people you were speaking with may not have been in the United States, but that doesn't mean they are scammers.

Message 2 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Keep in mind they also use other reports to verify identity. Teletrack is one that they use and if it doesn't match that could be the reason they are asking for additional info.
Message 3 of 15
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

There is no such thing as a FICO Experian report and a non Experian report. The report they saw may have had the address, but I don't know why lenders sometimes ask for verification. I have never had to do it, but on here people have said all they had to do was conference ring their bank and have them verify over the telephone with American Express.

The people you were speaking with may not have been in the United States, but that doesn't mean they are scammers.

I don't understand about there not being a FICO Experian. FICO now has Experian reports for 19.95 plus tax, just like purchasing FICO Equifax and Transunion. Did I waste money purchasing My Fico Experian report from this same site that we are posting on? Thanks for any help.

Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Experian reports are pulled by lenders. MyFICO now sells the same report with a credit score. If Amex pulled your Experian report is would be the same information. You say evidently, is it possible they pulled multiple bureaus? Like I indicated before, they also use other agencies to verify identity.
Message 5 of 15
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Keep in mind they also use other reports to verify identity. Teletrack is one that they use and if it doesn't match that could be the reason they are asking for additional info.

^this

There are more than credit reports checked when apping. Identity and fraud related databases are also checked. Check out IDAnalytics databases and FICO's Falcon s/w to learn more about this rather arcane stuff. When a credit profile is ok, and most decline problems are credit related, these other databases are checked to help prevent ID theft and fraud. If they indicate more ID verification is required then this can trigger the OP's problem.  Since a bank account has usually gone through ID verification already this is just a proxy for Amex to use to complete an ID verification.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 15
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^this

There are more than credit reports checked when apping. Identity and fraud related databases are also checked. Check out IDAnalytics databases and FICO's Falcon s/w to learn more about this rather arcane stuff. When a credit profile is ok, and most decline problems are credit related, these other databases are checked to help prevent ID theft and fraud. If they indicate more ID verification is required then this can trigger the OP's problem.  Since a bank account has usually gone through ID verification already this is just a proxy for Amex to use to complete an ID verification.

So, it would be okay to give the people that answer the calls for AMEX my bank account number? None of the replies that I have gotten from you good folks have not stated whether it would be okay. I just don't want to do something I might end up regretting. 

Message 7 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes, if you are still uncomfortable see if its possible that you can be on a 3-way.
Message 8 of 15
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Slab wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^this

So, it would be okay to give the people that answer the calls for AMEX my bank account number? None of the replies that I have gotten from you good folks have not stated whether it would be okay. I just don't want to do something I might end up regretting. 

Sure.  How many checks do you write? Everywhere that check goes people can see and record your bank account number.
The basic rule for avoiding scams and social engineering is to never give out info when someone calls you. In this case you apped and they sent you a link and phone number. You are usually safe when making outbound calls. Not always though. There are fraudulent websites and email that try to get  you to app for credit and simulate a real bank and they often collect ss#, names, addresses and more. There are standard ways to avoid these the most important is not to click on any email links you didn't solicit.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 15
Slab
Frequent Contributor

As usual, you folks came through again. I really appreciate the good common sense answers that you all pointed out. Thanks a lot girls and guys.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.