Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX application on hold?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX application on hold?

Hi everyone,

I've been coming on these forums for a short period of time, but this is my first post. I'm a college senior with two cards - AMEX Zync and Chase Plus 1 with a very small limit of 500. I've spent a lot of money on the Chase card for the two years I've had it, and always PIF. I asked for a CLI but was denied, so I decided to check out other CCs. I was also hoping to have another credit card available by the time I fly to Hong Kong for a couple weeks since the Chase card has such a low limit. Last I checked, my scores were all at or around 720 (I know this doesn't mean much due to my age and short account ages). 

I read that AMEX only pulls once if you submit two CC applications in one day, so I decided to apply for the Blue Everyday and the Gold Delta Skymiles. I have an existing relationship with AMEX through the Zync card, and I also have a high yield savings account and a certificate of deposit through AMEX savings. I received an "In Progress" message for the Blue Everyday and a message instructing me to call a number for the Gold Delta Skymiles. After calling in, the CSR told me that my applications were being manually reviewed. He asked me to call back in two days. However, after calling back, I was told that my applications are on a mandatory hold due to the presence of "duplicate applications." The CSR I spoke to the second time told me to call back after the mandatory hold period of four days was over. Does anyone have any experience with this? What might this mean for my chances at approval/denial?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
DI
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX application on hold?

Welcome to the forums!

You may get approved.  The delay is only due to you having 2 applications on file.  Let them review your information manually as stated.  If you get denied and your credit is pristine request a recon.  Good luck!!

Message 2 of 15
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been coming on these forums for a short period of time, but this is my first post. I'm a college senior with two cards - AMEX Zync and Chase Plus 1 with a very small limit of 500. I've spent a lot of money on the Chase card for the two years I've had it, and always PIF. I asked for a CLI but was denied, so I decided to check out other CCs. I was also hoping to have another credit card available by the time I fly to Hong Kong for a couple weeks since the Chase card has such a low limit. Last I checked, my scores were all at or around 720 (I know this doesn't mean much due to my age and short account ages). 

I read that AMEX only pulls once if you submit two CC applications in one day, so I decided to apply for the Blue Everyday and the Gold Delta Skymiles. I have an existing relationship with AMEX through the Zync card, and I also have a high yield savings account and a certificate of deposit through AMEX savings. I received an "In Progress" message for the Blue Everyday and a message instructing me to call a number for the Gold Delta Skymiles. After calling in, the CSR told me that my applications were being manually reviewed. He asked me to call back in two days. However, after calling back, I was told that my applications are on a mandatory hold due to the presence of "duplicate applications." The CSR I spoke to the second time told me to call back after the mandatory hold period of four days was over. Does anyone have any experience with this? What might this mean for my chances at approval/denial?

Thanks for your help!

Thats interesting - honestly I would be surprised if you get approved from both. From what I''ve read on the forums about Amex and applying for multiple apps at once, they may be starting to tighten up on that loophole. For example someone recently mentioned they were informed the period to wait between apps went from 60 days to 90 days. In any event good luck - if you are approved for one and denied for another, ask them when you can reapp again for the other. Good luck!

Message 3 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

You have limited credit history and you are asking for 2 prime revolving credit cards at one time. It's already tough enough to get 1 revolving cc from Amex. That could be the hold-up IMHO. Maybe call back and speak to a Amex credit analysts and ask if your chance of approval be increase if you only app for 1 card. Just pick one that fits you most. OR you can just let the dice roll and see what they come back with. Do you know if you got hit for 2 hard inquiries on your CR already? Which CB did they pull? EX or all 3? Only a credit analysts will be able to answer all your questions for you. But from my experience, if Amex pull EX only, you are in pretty good shape. If they pull all 3, than it's questionable, and the approval process could be delay, such in your case. Good luck !!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice! At the time of application, I figured that I would try for both of them due to what I had heard about AMEX only pulling once. I probably should have just gone with the Delta Gold since I've heard it's easier to get. I definitely don't need both of the cards, so I'll be happy if I get either one. Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel an app before a decision has been reached? I'm also not sure whether I got 2 inquiries already and which CB got pulled - I don't have a subscription to a credit monitoring service and I already checked my annual credit report. Are there other ways to check the reports besides the paid subscription services? Sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm still a bit new to this credit business!

If I get denied for both, should I try applying for a revolving card with another bank, or will the (possibly 2) inquiries prevent me from getting another card? Not looking to get in over my head with new accounts - just want a card with a better limit than the Chase card, especially since I put a lot of money through that one. I try to use my Zync for the majority of purchases now, but it would be nice to have a revolving card with a higher limit for emergencies and unexpected or large expenses.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice! At the time of application, I figured that I would try for both of them due to what I had heard about AMEX only pulling once. I probably should have just gone with the Delta Gold since I've heard it's easier to get. I definitely don't need both of the cards, so I'll be happy if I get either one. Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel an app before a decision has been reached? I'm also not sure whether I got 2 inquiries already and which CB got pulled - I don't have a subscription to a credit monitoring service and I already checked my annual credit report. Are there other ways to check the reports besides the paid subscription services? Sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm still a bit new to this credit business!

If I get denied for both, should I try applying for a revolving card with another bank, or will the (possibly 2) inquiries prevent me from getting another card? Not looking to get in over my head with new accounts - just want a card with a better limit than the Chase card, especially since I put a lot of money through that one. I try to use my Zync for the majority of purchases now, but it would be nice to have a revolving card with a higher limit for emergencies and unexpected or large expenses.

Thanks!

If this was me, I would call and speak to Amex CSR and have them transfer you to a credit analysts if they can't assist you further. There is still a possible chance you can cancel one of the apped if they are still doing a manuel review. Talk to them and see what options you have. It doesn't hurt, if anything, while they have you on the phone, they may ask for more infor., and you could provide all of that over the phone without further delay.

I wouldn't app for any more cards, I would try to recon (if denied for both) and try to at least get one CC with Amex since you have 2 inquiries with them. Even if they give you a low CL, at least you get your foot in the door and gradually down the road, you can CLI.

In the end, I believe your best chance of getting any more CCs right now are with Amex...apping for more cards could result in more declined. Just my .02 as I am sure OP will chime in to give you more infor.

Good luck!!

Message 6 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Hi, tysandrafung!  Welcome!

You didn't mention the amount of income that you have, and that is something they will look at, in addition to your card usage and payment patterns.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I'd update on the application status since I just called back. I was approved for the Blue Everyday! I'm kind of surprised after the holding period and everything I've read about the card being difficult to get, but definitely happy! No word on the Delta Gold yet, but I don't need two new revolving cards. I asked whether I could cancel, but the CSR said it was in a stage of review that can't be canceled.

As for my income, it isn't very high as I'm a full time student - under 15K. However, the CSR asked me for my household income in addition to my individual income. I've previously read that even when they are asking for household income, they actually want individual. I explicitly told the CSR that my individual income is much lower than my household income, but he said that he still needed the household income. I was 100 percent honest in reporting this information, but could this possibly cause issues in the future?

Other than that concern, I'm really happy with the approval! Thanks for all the advice!

Message 8 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thought I'd update on the application status since I just called back. I was approved for the Blue Everyday! I'm kind of surprised after the holding period and everything I've read about the card being difficult to get, but definitely happy! No word on the Delta Gold yet, but I don't need two new revolving cards. I asked whether I could cancel, but the CSR said it was in a stage of review that can't be canceled.

As for my income, it isn't very high as I'm a full time student - under 15K. However, the CSR asked me for my household income in addition to my individual income. I've previously read that even when they are asking for household income, they actually want individual. I explicitly told the CSR that my individual income is much lower than my household income, but he said that he still needed the household income. I was 100 percent honest in reporting this information, but could this possibly cause issues in the future?

Other than that concern, I'm really happy with the approval! Thanks for all the advice!

That is GREAT news!!

Welcome to the Amex family.....put on your calander to call back in 61 days and ask for a CLI. Than 6 months thereafter.

Message 9 of 15
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Congratulations,  I'm so glad you received that card!  I, too, had to wait several days even after they told me to call back in 2.  I waited so long I thought I would be denied!

Some may disagree with me, but I believe the Amex charges 2.7% foreign transaction fees.  It's all over the board how people feel about Cap One, however, they charge 0% and that's one of the main reasons I like them and bring their card while travelling abroad.  You may want to look into this.  However, if you ALSO want a high limit then Cap One may not be the best choice for you.  You'd probably get entered into their credit steps which will raise your limit after 3 months of good ontime payment - just definitely something to consider.  I have 2 Cap Ones and will always keep one of them just for their (rare) 0% foreign transaction fees.

Whatever you decide, have fun in Hong Kong!  Which part are you going to?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.