cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX backdating, for charge only or credit too?

tag
nbkutz

AMEX backdating, for charge only or credit too?

Hi everyone,

I've lurked these forums for a few months and I have to say the information here is great. Thank you.

I know there has been a lot of talk about AMEX backdating so I'm sorry for possibly beating a dead horse.

I'm looking to cancel or downgrade my AMEX PRG to the Green card, or even cancelling the account. I joined Dec 12 for a 50k MR bonus and waived AF and I have no intention of paying $175 to keep the card (and I really don't care to pay $95 for a green card that I won't use). I've used all the MR points already so I don't necessarily NEED to keep an Amex charge open for MR points. I still have three Amex revolving cards all issued in 13 but dated for 12 to match my PRG. If I drop the PRG will any future AMEX cards (charge/revolving) I get approved for retain the 2012 backdating?

Thanks again guys,

Nick

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nbkutz

Re: AMEX backdating, for charge only or credit too?

to actually correct my previous post, when I was 18 in 2006 I was approved for an AMEX Green charge card. It's reported on my credit report as very briefly being open, I believe my parents at the time intercepted it in the mail and thought I wasn't responsible enough for it and threw it out. So it was never used, but even so, shouldn't 2006 be my "member since" date?

Message 2 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Backdating works for the credit cards too.

When you were "approved" in 2006, an account was actually opened?  If so, yes, you should be able to backdate till then, unless there are rules that it had to open for one cycle or something.

Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You should call and inquire about the 2006. MSD. Doesn't sound like the card was activated but its best to call.

If not, you would keep the 2012 date for subsequent cc's
Message 4 of 6
nbkutz

I was initiating a secure email message to customer service when a live chat window suggested I use chat to contact them instead. I didn't know AMEX had chat as a way to contact them... Anyway five minutes later all four of my AMEX charge/credit cards are being backdated to 2006! Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with that.

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations! Amex is doing away with secure email this month. Watch your CR's to make sure they update accordingly.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.