Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX backdating question

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

AMEX backdating question

I recently (3/10/13) applied for and got a green charge card and the delta sky miles credit card. Prior to this my only experience with AMEX is as an authorized user on my dads charge card many years ago (2000 when I turned 18) and stopped using the card within a year or so.

My cards say member since '13. I recently checked my cr on ex and eq and it said the accounts have been open 13 years! My AAoA has shot up along with my score.

Is this an error or are the backdating to when i became an AU?

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX backdating question

@VegasKyle wrote:
I recently (3/10/13) applied for and got a green charge card and the delta sky miles credit card. Prior to this my only experience with AMEX is as an authorized user on my dads charge card many years ago (2000 when I turned 18) and stopped using the card within a year or so.

My cards say member since '13. I recently checked my cr on ex and eq and it said the accounts have been open 13 years! My AAoA has shot up along with my score.

AFAIK AMEX stopped backdating AUs.....

Looks like you got lucky! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 35
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:

It's no error you got the backdating! When you log into your online Amex account, what is your member date?

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 3 of 35
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

"It's no error you got the backdating! When you log into your online Amex account, what is your member date?"

2000!!!

I know for a fact it said 13 on the iPhone app, now it says 2000 on both the app and website!

Looks like AMEX continues to love me.

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 4 of 35
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
"It's no error you got the backdating! When you log into your online Amex account, what is your member date?"

2000!!!

I know for a fact it said 13 on the iPhone app, now it says 2000 on both the app and website!

Looks like AMEX continues to love me.

Congrats on the backdating! Don't worry about the member date on the card , All that matters is the member date thats on the  website and  CB's

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 5 of 35
ElCamino
Contributor

Amex will backdate AUs, but only to the time they became an AU, not when the primary cardholder became a member.

So if his dad had been a member for 30 years, but made him an AU in 2000, then he'd only get 13 years worth of backdating.

Also, you can request a new card with an updated "Member Since" on it if you'd like, just call them.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 6 of 35
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:

If it says 2000 in the website, then that is the member date. They print cards in bulk for each year, so often they just send the new one with the current date. A quick call will get you a new card with the effective date. Congrats!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 35
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

They print cards in bulk for each year, so often they just send the new one with the current date. A quick call will get you a new card with the effective date.

Do you mean that they don't emboss the 'member since' date at the same time as all the other info on the card ?

Message 8 of 35
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

They print cards in bulk for each year, so often they just send the new one with the current date. A quick call will get you a new card with the effective date.

Do you mean that they don't emboss the 'member since' date at the same time as all the other info on the card ?

I'd be willing to bet all info is embossed at the same time.  Regardless, I'm extatic to have two accounts reporting 13 years old instead of 2 months.  AAoA is where I needed the most help.

Message 9 of 35
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

For someone who isn't a member currently Amex will generally put the current year as the member since date on the first card issued. Any subsequent cards will have the correct member since date. As others have stated, what is important is the date that gets reported to the CB's.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.