Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX backdating tradeline relationship date

tag
DaveinSC
Contributor

AMEX backdating tradeline relationship date

I was reading through another post about the AMEX Oasis program, and I  discovered that one can call AMEX and have a current card ("member since") dated back to the original AMEX relationship date.  I know that's a confusing sentence.  I applied for and was approved for a ZYNC card a few months ago. When I applied, it didn't occur to me to check anything other than the "new member" box.  I did, however have AMEX products in my past - A gold, platinum and the OLD Optima card; a successful relationship that dates back, according to an old credit report (gotta love librarians, we keep everything!) to 1987.  So I called AMEX to see if the "Member Since" date on my ZYNC card could be dated back to the year of my original AMEX product - 1987. The rep. with whom I spoke said they'd have to do some research on it, and asked for my SSN.  I complied, and they'll let me know something whenever they do.  I never missed a payment or anything like that, I just grew tired of that then exorbitant AF (which back when I had my Platinum card was something like $325/year), and I called up and  cancelled the Platinum card. IIRC, they put two or three supervisors on the phone to try and save the account, and I got rather heated, but polite in my insistence that they jsut cancel the @**#@ card!  It's now probably the stuff of AMEX training tapes.

So, we'll see if I get my request granted. I don't really know what benefit it'll do for me in the long haul, but my ZYNC card will suddenly be "a lot older".

EQ: 850 (01/2018)
TU: 830 (1/2018)
EXP: 825 (06/2018)
USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX backdating tradeline relationship date

I don't see why they wouldn't backdate it. Seems perfectly straightforward to me!

What I wouldn't give to suddenly flash on the existence of an old American Express account for me... Smiley Sad

eta: if it's really old, they sometimes need an account number to dig it out of mothballs. If there's any chance that you might have some ancient record of a number --memo line on an old cancelled check, ancient statement, beat-up card used for scraping frost off your windshield, etc. --it might be useful to dig it up.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
DaveinSC
Contributor

The AMEX rep. with whom I spoke asked me for an account number. I gave him the number off of the old Experian report, but he replied that that number was not a valid AMEX acc't number.  Don't know if I have checks back that far...but I might!  Worth a look-see through the attic, etc.  I'll keep folks posted on what happens.

USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yes, AmEx jumbles the account numbers that appear on credit reports.

Happy hunting!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

I did something like that when I got my Starwood card in July of this year.  (EQ 780 FICO, TU 792 FICO, AAoA 5, Length 15 yrs,  2 inq Ex, 4 inq EQ, 0 inq TU, no lates, no derog, no baddies).

Cold apped and AmEx considered me new since they didn't have records of me before.

I had a green card from 2002 but AmEx had purged the record (so they said).  But they did tell me that if I could find any proof, they'd gladly backdate it.

So, I looked and my credit report and gave them that account number.    Was told it wasn't a valid number and that I'd have to keep looking.

Then I decided to check a box of old stuff and lo and behold, I found the original green card, albiet cut in half and an old statement.

So I faxed over images of the cut up card and the statement, and by the time I got back to my home to check email, my account had been backdated to 2002 and there was a message that they were sending a replacement card.

So it can be done, if you can just dig up any proof.

-----

Current stats (10-19-10) in case anyone cares:

EQ 785 FICO, TU 796 FICO, AAoA 6, Length 16 yrs,  3 inq Ex, 4 inq EQ, 0 inq TU, no lates, no derog, no baddies

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 5 of 12
tiger67
Regular Contributor

Dave,

Just keep calling. Below is a link detailing my experience last year. I had two new accounts redated to 1988.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/writemikep-Amex-re-age/m-p/527839

Message 6 of 12
DaveinSC
Contributor

WOO HOO!  I logged into check my account  a few hours later and it said "Welcome, XXX , Member since 1987"

Didn't have to fax anything to them.  They either found my old AMEX accounts by SSN or took my word for it.

Don't know if there's a replacement card on the way or not.

My oldest TL is either 1986 or 1987 so this won't help AAOA much...but it'll at least be accurate.

Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It will also avoid the new account ding, as your account is now instantly 23-24 years old.

Pretty sweet!

I can promise you that a 1986-87 account date would definitely help my AAoA! Smiley Very Happy congrats

Message 8 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@DaveinSC wrote:

WOO HOO!  I logged into check my account  a few hours later and it said "Welcome, XXX , Member since 1987"

Didn't have to fax anything to them.  They either found my old AMEX accounts by SSN or took my word for it.

Don't know if there's a replacement card on the way or not.

My oldest TL is either 1986 or 1987 so this won't help AAOA much...but it'll at least be accurate.

Amex has elephent memory..

Message 9 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Icewave76 wrote:

So it can be done, if you can just dig up any proof.

Yes, I reminded DW of her 25-year old Amex card in the drawer for once upon a time stuff and encouraged her to call customer service. The credit reports now list her present card's opened date as such. And being an AU, my card inherits the history. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.