Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX but not BoA

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX but not BoA

@Anonymous wrote:
I have tried to get a BoA card twice now but have been declined both times. I have Citi, Chase, Amex, Discover and Cap One. After I got my Amex I figured my scores and history must certainly be good enough to pass muster at BoA...but it wasn't. Anybody have a similar experience?

If I were you, I would stick with what I got. BofA is getting very picky lately and their cards aren't as appeasing.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX but not BoA

This may have something to do with a difference in approach from the two banks. Lately Amex has been lowering their overall credit standards compared to what they were 5-10 years ago. People are getting accepted with quite frankly, mediocre scores whereas years ago they wouldn't have even been considered. This might be Amex trying to stave off the DoJ, but also because they feel the need to increase their marketshare. BofA on the other hand is reducing it's risk anywhere it can. They are closing accounts that appear questionable or are not profitable enough. They've been in a bad spot since their acquisition of countrywide financial, so they've been trying to get rid of anyone they deem as potentially risky.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.