Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX can go to .....&(*&#$&#$@)

tag
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX can go to .....&(*&#$&#$@)

I won't hijack a thread about my own beloved with details, but Storm's saga started here: (very busines appropriate blog)

http://adoc2be.blogspot.com/2010/04/and-there-in-coolness.html

If you read the subsequent posts, you see how far he came and then due to vet error, 6 months later:

http://adoc2be.blogspot.com/2010/10/im-trying.html

Back to OP's topic:

Call the back door numbers at AMEX and find out what caused the closure.  Then ask if there is any means to have it reviewed higher up.  That you have been a customer of theirs for years, with no baddies and no lates, tells me maybe there is something like identity theft or other going on.

My continued well wishes for you and I truly hope AMEX pulls their head out of dark nether regions...

Message 11 of 32
smc733
Valued Contributor

Executive customer service line:

1-800-297-6197

Give them a call, friendly, in New York, USA, and helpful.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 12 of 32
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@msheresy wrote:

To continue off topic get this!

I have two pit bulls. 

Last wednesday in April, a bump showed up on Oaky's tail.  The following sunday, Stella's lymph node swole up to the size of a grapfruit.  Took her to the emergency vet and they said she likely had canine lymphoma.  Took her to the regular vet monday morning and the vet did an aspiration but said it was 90% chance she did have it.  2 days later we get a call back she doesnt have it.  Basically it was a miracle.  So shes on antibiotics for 2 weeks and on the day she goes back we decided to take Oaky.  Well they aspirate the bump on his tail and its a Mast Cell Tumor.  There are only two places to go in Ga that have oncologists so we took and they biosiped 3 other bumps that were originally diagnosed as fatty pockets.  Well one on his neck was another tumor.  He had his tail amputated and had the tumor removed from his neck.  Costs so far have been about 4500.  Well he had his sitches out yesterday and they are suggesting radiation on the neck and chemo - radiation is 3600 and chemo goes on for a year and you pay weekly but the total for that would be another 3500.

Not to mention that he had Parvo when he was little to the tune of 2000 and at one point escaped and was hit by a car.  I love the dogs to death but I really wish they could get jobs!!!

He's the most expensive pit bull ever!  <3

I still hate AMEX!

As a dog owner/lover who has raised more than one dog from puppyhood into old age and finally passing over, I empathize with your situation. We've lost dogs due to cancer, and one due to congestive heart failure, and it was always a heart wrenching situation. My DH was a wonderful help, cooking for them and encouraging them to eat, doing everything possible to see to their comfort until nature took them or we had to make the painful decision to have the vet come and put them down. We have had the vet come out to our house to do so, as we wanted them to leave this earth in the home that they have loved. It was never, ever a decision made out of convenience for us; we did everything that we possibly could to keep them comfortable for as long as possible. And handled whatever vet bills came our way in the process.

So, my heart goes out to you, Stella and Oaky. Please accept my best wishes for a positive outcome, and if welcomed, give them a big hug from me.

And this is why, happy as I am to have my backdated Amex, I'm still not comfortable depending on them as my sole source of credit. From the stories I've heard, they strike me as being a very temperamental lender. So sorry that you're having to deal with them in the middle of this.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 32
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

From what we've heard, I'd say we don't know enough to judge the situation. How high is the balance that the original poster is carrying? And how high is it compared to his/her credit limit? What do his her reports look like?

Having said all of this, I have no doubt that Amex just as any lender wouldn't flinch to close an account if it is in their best interest. They don't look out for their customers but for themselves. I've always been treated well by Amex but I've never carried a balance, either. Their customer service is helpful. But I can easily imagine that when one is in an emergency they won't be there for you. But that's probably the same with any lender.

Not enough information, though, to really hate Amex at this point.

My personal advice: I'd try to get them to reopen the accounts. This could happen with any lender. If these accounts have otherwise been fine, I'd hold on to them.

Sorry about the dogs.

Message 14 of 32
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I've read on this forum and many others that AmEx hates when you carry a balance. It doesn't matter that they charge you interest on the balance it seems or how big it is. They seem to want all their cards treated like charge cards and PIF every month.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 32
ontop
Regular Contributor

Very sorry to hear of the bad news. Now, even pets (I have cats) cannot depend on amex, but my cats can rest assured because in my wallet only carried visa/master.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 16 of 32
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@msheresy wrote:

To continue off topic get this!

I have two pit bulls. 

Last wednesday in April, a bump showed up on Oaky's tail.  The following sunday, Stella's lymph node swole up to the size of a grapfruit.  Took her to the emergency vet and they said she likely had canine lymphoma.  Took her to the regular vet monday morning and the vet did an aspiration but said it was 90% chance she did have it.  2 days later we get a call back she doesnt have it.  Basically it was a miracle.  So shes on antibiotics for 2 weeks and on the day she goes back we decided to take Oaky.  Well they aspirate the bump on his tail and its a Mast Cell Tumor.  There are only two places to go in Ga that have oncologists so we took and they biosiped 3 other bumps that were originally diagnosed as fatty pockets.  Well one on his neck was another tumor.  He had his tail amputated and had the tumor removed from his neck.  Costs so far have been about 4500.  Well he had his sitches out yesterday and they are suggesting radiation on the neck and chemo - radiation is 3600 and chemo goes on for a year and you pay weekly but the total for that would be another 3500.

Not to mention that he had Parvo when he was little to the tune of 2000 and at one point escaped and was hit by a car.  I love the dogs to death but I really wish they could get jobs!!!

He's the most expensive pit bull ever!  <3

I still hate AMEX!

Wow.  Way to make me feel bad for complaining that the kennel charged me $192 to board my 2 dogs for 4 nights.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 32
DI
Super Contributor

I think a lot of times when people instantly get approve by the computer, AMEX later go back and review those accounts and make the decision to keep open or close it.

Message 18 of 32
smc733
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

I think a lot of times when people instantly get approve by the computer, AMEX later go back and review those accounts and make the decision to keep open or close it.

This, along with the balance carrying may have caused it.  I recommend him to call that number I posted earlier.  At the very least, he should be able to get the Zync re-enstated.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 19 of 32
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

American Expess is nototorius for closing accounts for almost no reason.   It is why I don't consider them a prime CC anymore.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.