Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX cards and past history

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

AMEX cards and past history

i was an AU on an AMEX gold rewards card. 5 years of perfect payment history. In 2007, for no reason, they closed our account. I had a 15K balance on the charge and credit portion of the card. It took me 18 months to pay it off (2008).

What is the likelihood that they would approve me for a charge card? I don't know why, and I know this is sophomoric, but I've fought so hard to get above water, an AMEX card on my own would make me feel like i've made it back.

I would appreciate any thoughts.........

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX cards and past history

Just depends on your credit score. Your past issUe probably won't be an issue
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They did the same to me. 

I'm back in their good graces.  So long as you don't have a derog with them, you should app them again, and they'll likely backdate it to your member date.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@shasta wrote:

In 2007, for no reason, they closed our account. I had a 15K balance on the charge and credit portion of the card. It took me 18 months to pay it off (2008).

To AmEx, that is a good reason.  They don't like balances, especially that large.  As long as you paid it off, I see no reason that you wouldn't be approved for a new card, assuming your report meets their standards.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrasher865 wrote:

@shasta wrote:

In 2007, for no reason, they closed our account. I had a 15K balance on the charge and credit portion of the card. It took me 18 months to pay it off (2008).

To AmEx, that is a good reason.  They don't like balances, especially that large.  As long as you paid it off, I see no reason that you wouldn't be approved for a new card, assuming your report meets their standards.

+1  Amex doesn't seem to really like when customers carry balances for extended periods on their revolving cards, let alone a Gold card.  That is a good reason to close an account, considering it took 18 months to pay off, you were abusing the balance carrying option on your charge card.

Message 5 of 16
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"In 2007, for no reason, they closed our account."

I see these kinds of statements now and then and I really don't understand why people say that. There's ALWAYS a reason. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 16
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

"In 2007, for no reason, they closed our account."

I see these kinds of statements now and then and I really don't understand why people say that. There's ALWAYS a reason. 

Exactly. They'll either tell you or you'd just have to figure it out for yourself.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

@shasta wrote:

+1  Amex doesn't seem to really like when customers carry balances for extended periods on their revolving cards, let alone a Gold card.  That is a good reason to close an account, considering it took 18 months to pay off, you were abusing the balance carrying option on your charge card.

Agree that they are forgiving as long as you pay them in full and it would be beneficial to get an Amex card for age.

I also agree that there is always a reason but "abusing" might be a strong word to use in the OP situation.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 16
shasta
Regular Contributor

For clarification, I wasn't given a reason. AMEX told me it's within their rights to close accounts as they see fit.

Yes, I was carrying a high balance because of corporate travel. I was laid off within days of the AMEX account closing and it took months to get travel expenses reimbursed from my former company.

On the plus side, I did get approved for an AMEX card yesterday!!!

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shasta wrote:

On the plus side, I did get approved for an AMEX card yesterday!!!

Shasta:

Congrat! What kind of card did you applied for and what was your scores?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.