Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX charge vs credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX charge vs credit card

I've been feverishly reading multiple topics about AMEX as I'd like to add one to my wallet this year. My scores aren't awesome, low 600s, but some improvements haven't posted to my reports yet so I'm seeking final clarification for myself and others... are AMEX underwriting requirements less strict for charge cards? Can anyone provide evidence and stats after being denied for a credit card then being approved for a charge card right after? Last thing, is it really the same requirements for all charge cards? I'd always thought a Platinum would be harder to acquire than a Gold or Green but the forums are causing me to believe that's not the case. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX charge vs credit card

From personal experience, I’d wait until you were in the high 600s. My patience paid off and I was just accepted for their AMEX Gold charge card.

This is what my credit history looked like at the time I was approved (link): http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/AMEX-Gold-Approval-Summarized-Circumstances...
Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 15
kidkind2003
Established Member

I’d wait till your reports clear 100 percent up. The higher you are when you get in will help with future product offers from Amex. All though the charge card says no preset limit , that doesn’t mean the computer system doesn’t set an internal limit on your account. If you just squeak in you will be getting frequent calls for payment , before the bill is due or out right declined charges.

Started the Rebuild in 2009 all 400’s with a First Premier.
2018 = All 700’s with 200 K revolving ,1 percent Utility. Trying to curb my Amex addictionsSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Check out Amex Prequalified Offers. See if anything shows up.

I was approved for the Delta and PRG at 610 EX with 4 collections on record. I was preapproved for both cards via the online checker. Also had been an AU on Amex for 2 months. Used it a lot and paid it through my own login.

If your denied for any Amex card. You will not be approved for any other product for 30 days. That’s their policy.

From what I’ve seen on here. The charge cards are all the same underwriting.

My own personal experience is that the platnium is harder to get. I’ve been Prequalified for the PRG and green before I became an amex member. Took the PRG.
After being a member with PRG, I’m still Prequalified for the green card but not for the platnium. I can’t get a Prequalified offer for that even though my scores have improved about 70 points.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

From what I’ve seen on here. The charge cards are all the same underwriting.

My own personal experience is that the platnium is harder to get. I’ve been Prequalified for the PRG and green before I became an amex member. Took the PRG.
After being a member with PRG, I’m still Prequalified for the green card but not for the platnium. I can’t get a Prequalified offer for that even though my scores have improved about 70 points.

Yes, but prequalifaction has a marketing factor, it's the card that either they want you to get or think you are most likely to apply for.   So it can certainly be the case that you would get the Plat if you applied, prequalified or not.

Message 5 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

As others have said, wait until your credit improves.

What features, benefits, reward types and bonus categories are you interested in?

You seem to have concluded you want one but don't seem to particularly care which one it is. I think Amex is the only issuer that gets that kind of interest.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 15
drboxing
Established Contributor

Amex is hard to figure out, I was declined for Amex Green, but 2 months later approved for Delta Gold. After 4 months was preapproved for Amex SPG & Delta Platinum but was again declined for the Green card. But was approved for Amex Platinum Business. So it’s hard to figure Amex out, but I’m glad to be with them

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Amex's underwriting criteria are less strict for charge cards.

I was approved for the Blue Cash Everyday credit card (500 SL and "credit steps") in August 2017 when my EX FICO 9 score was 642. Three days later I app'd for the Green charge card and was denied.  In November I app'd for another charge card - the PRG - and was again denied citing a FICO score of 649.  Then finally in late December I reapplied for the PRG after my EX score had climbed to 698 and was approved.

@Anonymous wrote:
I've been feverishly reading multiple topics about AMEX as I'd like to add one to my wallet this year. My scores aren't awesome, low 600s, but some improvements haven't posted to my reports yet so I'm seeking final clarification for myself and others... are AMEX underwriting requirements less strict for charge cards? Can anyone provide evidence and stats after being denied for a credit card then being approved for a charge card right after? Last thing, is it really the same requirements for all charge cards? I'd always thought a Platinum would be harder to acquire than a Gold or Green but the forums are causing me to believe that's not the case. Thanks!

Message 8 of 15
rebuildingincb
Contributor

I landed my first AmEx card(s) today, here's how it went. 

I tried the prequal, nothing. I decided I would risk it and apply for the BCE, heard it was easier to get. Instant approval $2500, then it pops up I was preapproved for a Business Gold Charge (self employed on the app), so I accepted that one too! 

Temptation took over, I ended up getting a Discover IT, Chase Arrival, and a Chase Slate. all but Barclay was instant, but I called and got $2500 SL, will pay off my Barclay rewards and transfer that 3000 to the Arrival Card. 

Scores rance from 654-684 durrently, had 3 inquiries in 2 years, 3 late pays almost a year ago, no collections or judgements, utilization was at 42%

I know I will get a ding for the inquiries, but I just added over $10k in credit, and now I can get rid of some of the crap cards I still have left from rebuild. Shooting to be over 700 in the next 6mos or so. 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes the underwriting standards are lower for charge cards, and aren't subject to their 2/90 rules (that I've personally bypassed myself with 3 credit card approvals, but the third was manually reviewed). Since the underwriting standards are lower for charge cards, I would apply for one of those first so if you're approved, the second app will be a soft credit pull and not biggie if you're denied. 

All of the three "normal" charge cards have the same underwriting critera. The only one that's hard to get is the Centurion, but you need a Platinum for some time before you qualify for one of those.  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.