Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX declined, they did a HP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX declined, they did a HP

I have PRG and HHilton no AF, app'd for the Everyday a few days ago and was declined for too many new accounts, too many recent INQs etc.

Today CreditSesame reported a new HP from AMEX, I thought they only did SP on declines for card members? I did app for the same card on the 1st of Jan. and that decline was a SP. I was trying to get another AMEX this month for backdate purposes.

Any way to get this HP removed from my report?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX declined, they did a HP

@Anonymous wrote:

I have PRG and HHilton no AF, app'd for the Everyday a few days ago and was declined for too many new accounts, too many recent INQs etc.

Today CreditSesame reported a new HP from AMEX, I thought they only did SP on declines for card members? I did app for the same card on the 1st of Jan. and that decline was a SP. I was trying to get another AMEX this month for backdate purposes.

Apply incognito?

Unfortunately you don't really have much recourse, AMEX doing an SP for denial while often a formality, is the exception to the rule as you DID apply for new credit.

Message 2 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today CreditSesame reported a new HP from AMEX, I thought they only did SP on declines for card members?

They tend to.  No guarantee.  HP's can and do happen for existing members with active card accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope.  Applying is permissible purpose.

Message 3 of 15
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Amex SP denial is a myth.

Message 4 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I did once get a HP denial from Amex for the PRG but that was also the same month that I had gotten in with Amex. Since then, any denials I've gotten they've never done any more HPs on. I'm gonna assume it differs for everyone.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Got a few Denials via SP's..  Always logged onto account..  Maybe it has to do with the SP thinks you will get it, but once they HP you something they don't like?  Dunno

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sucks 

Message 7 of 15
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

My theory:

Amex uses the last account review SP for initial approval.

Computer says "we are good guys, issue this mofo a new card "

HP formality ensues, report has changed and falling out of approval range.

Computer says "J/k guys, don't send that memo, this guy can go pound sand a few more months."

Denial Letter : "you make me treat you this way, I don't want to, it's for your own good"

Sadness follows but as with a lot of abusive relationships we know Amex loves us so we take it and hope not to upset it again..
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGardner wrote:
My theory:

Amex uses the last account review SP for initial approval.

Computer says "we are good guys, issue this mofo a new card "

HP formality ensues, report has changed and falling out of approval range.

Computer says "J/k guys, don't send that memo, this guy can go pound sand a few more months."

Denial Letter : "you make me treat you this way, I don't want to, it's for your own good"

Sadness follows but as with a lot of abusive relationships we know Amex loves us so we take it and hope not to upset it again..

Comical as this is, This appears to be the way the system works.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Apply incognito?

Unfortunately you don't really have much recourse, AMEX doing an SP for denial while often a formality, is the exception to the rule as you DID apply for new credit.

What does applying incognito do for you?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.